What does it look like to homestead as a teen? What if you’re a teen who longs to homestead, but your family doesn’t own a farm? What are practical ways you can work towards your dream?
Today Kayla Visser has some helpful, encouraging insights for you. Kayla was managing her own business at 9 (seriously) and many aspects of her family’s brand-new homestead at 13.
Kayla has been a member of The Prairie Homestead team for years, helping run many aspects of our social media and website. And since she recently moved to Wyoming to help on our homestead in person, she joins me live in my studio today.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Kayla’s background and interest in homesteading
- What was your parents’ reaction to your passion for homesteading?
- Is there such thing as “too young” for homesteading?
- How to cultivate a good work ethic as a kid/teen
- What types of entrepreneurial activities did you do as a kid/teen to make your homesteading goals come true?
- What was it like finally getting a family farm? What did you do first?
- What resources did you rely on to learn about homesteading?
- Tip: never stop learning (and love it, too)
- Cooking as a kid/teen…(and how that’s connected to homesteading)
- How Kayla saved up to buy her own dairy cow…
- How did you adjust to having such a large homestead animal?
- If you can’t get livestock right now, what you can do instead…
- Did you have mentors or support at all?
- What to expect after graduation (and how to prepare for that)
- How do you see homesteading fitting in your future?
- Final advice for other kids/teens…
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Ready to join the newsletter for mavericks who value free-thinking, ditching the status quo, and taking charge of every part of our lives? Click now! https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/freethinker
Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
Head to http://prairieplanner.com/ to get your 2022 Prairie Planner today!
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger
More Unconventional Homesteading Tips:
- Homesteading with Littles: Strategies from a Experienced Mama (podcast episode)
- On Homesteading in the Desert (podcast episode)
- Homesteading During the Golden Years: Is it Possible? (podcast episode)
- I’m Teaching My Kids to Fail (blog article)