Today’s guest, Kathi Rodgers of Oakhillhomestead.com, not only encourages us that it is possible to homestead effectively throughout the retirement years, but she gives us practical tips to downsizing wisely, and effectively tweaking the way you do things, as you look toward homesteading during the golden years.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Kathi’s background and homesteading experience
- Looking at generational differences when it comes to farming backgrounds
- How the homesteading actions changed as time went by
- What types of homesteading adjustments were made to save time and energy
- There is no perfect formula to homesteading, no matter what age you are
- Balancing retirement, grandchildren, maintenance, homesteading
- Downsizing, mixed feelings, and yet still thriving
- How to figure out how to downsize your homestead (if necessary)
- How to spend less time and less energy in your garden
- Why you should stay active as you age (“use it or lose it”)
- Planning vs. overwhelm
- Tips for making homesteading activities easier
- When the kids leave, what is it like (motivation, changes, how to adjust, etc.)
- What advice would you tell your younger homesteading self?
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Ready to join the newsletter for mavericks who value free-thinking, ditching the status quo, and taking charge of every part of our lives? Click now! https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/freethinker
Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
Head to http://prairieplanner.com/ to get your 2022 Prairie Planner today!
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger
More Unconventional Homesteading Tips:
- Homesteading with Littles: Strategies from a Experienced Mama (podcast episode)
- What Stage of Homesteading are You In? (podcast episode)
- How to Afford a Homestead (blog article)
- Raising Old-Fashioned Kids in a High Tech World (blog article)