Podcast: Play in new window | Download
What does trash have to do with homesteading? Well, everything. As we progress on our old-fashioned journeys, it quickly becomes apparent that everything is connected– our food, our health, and our environments. And trash, specifically plastic, is a huge issue. However, once again, and old-fashioned mindset is the answer to this very modern problem.
In this podcast episode, I’m thrilled to be joined by internationally published author and humorist Eve O. Schaub to discuss her new book, A Year of No Garbage. Not only does she make this topic entertaining, she makes it feel doable. You’re going to enjoy this one.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Eve’s background with her three different book topics (including this one on garbage)
- How our modern society became such a garbage-centered culture
- Choosing the better choices whenever possible while realizing that it’s almost impossible to completely avoid creating garbage today
- A closer look at the plastic recycling industry
- Why this plastic issue is important for everyone, including homesteaders
- How to start cutting plastic from your life
- Why composting is better than using a garbage dump
- For normal people, is it even possible to accomplish a ‘no garbage’ routine?
- Practical tips for swapping things for better options
- How this is really a journey about becoming more aware of your surroundings and products
- Final encouragement for those on the journey towards less waste
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Learn more about Eve O. Schaub here: https://eveschaub.com
Check out Redmond’s Salt here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/salt and use code HOMESTEAD to get 15% off
Check out Redmond’s Soil Test here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/soiltest and use code HOMESTEAD to get 15% off
Have a message you want to share with the world? Apply to be a guest on the Old-Fashioned on Purpose podcast here: https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/podcast-guest-application
Weekly musings from my homestead: http://theprairiehomestead.com/letter
My essays on an old-fashioned life: www.prairiephilosophy.com
My homesteading tutorials & recipes: www.theprairiehomestead.com
Our Wyoming-raised, grass-finished beef: http://genuinebeefco.com
Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Jill on Instagram: @jill.winger
Jill on Facebook: http://facebook.com/theprairiehomestead
More Thoughts on Modern Issues:
- Demystifying Grocery Ingredients (podcast episode)
- How to Opt-Out of Toxic Mainstream Skincare (podcast episode)
- Pushing Back Against Consumer Culture (podcast episode)
- When the Old Ways Make More Sense (blog article)