We talk a lot about connecting to nature here on the podcast, but it’s usually through the lens of agriculture, cultivating, and farming.
But that’s just the beginning. Wildcrafting, hunting, and fishing connect us to the natural world in powerful way. I’m thrilled to be joined by author and angler, Conor Sullivan, in this podcast episode. We talk about the similarities between the ocean and the prairie, why fishing may just be your next old-fashioned adventure, how to start fishing as an adult (even if you’ve never done it before), and his best tried-and-true fish cooking tips.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Conor Sullivan’s background & passion for fishing
- What is our fundamental relationship to the sea?
- Defining wild waters…
- Why is it worth it to get your own fish and seafood?
- Why it’s a great option for feeding your family (esp. for non-homesteaders)
- Nutritional & taste differences between farmed-fish and wild-caught fish
- Why it’s so important to know where your food comes from
- Best tips for cooking fish
- How everyone can start fishing (no matter where you live, your age, etc.)
- Considering concerns about conservation and over-fishing issues
- What the wild world is telling us if we’re quiet enough to listen
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Learn more about Conor Sullivan here: https://www.conorjsullivan.com/
Follow Conor Sullivan’s Instagram account here: https://www.instagram.com/sullivanlures/
Preorder Old-Fashioned on Purpose now and get exclusive bonuses! http://oldfashionedbook.com/
Learn more about the Modern Homestead Conference here: https://modernhomesteading.com/
Have a message you want to share with the world? Apply to be a guest on the Old-Fashioned on Purpose podcast here: https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/podcast-guest-application
Weekly musings from my homestead: http://theprairiehomestead.com/letter
My essays on an old-fashioned life: www.prairiephilosophy.com
My homesteading tutorials & recipes: www.theprairiehomestead.com
Our Wyoming-raised, grass-finished beef: http://genuinebeefco.com
Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Jill on Instagram: @jill.winger
Jill on Facebook: http://facebook.com/theprairiehomestead