Join in as Liz Haselmayer and I discuss real food. Prices keep rising at the grocery store, and it’s not often easy to even find good food, especially if you can’t buy a farm and move to the country.
The Haselmayers–like most families–don’t own a farm, but they’ve learned that doesn’t mean they need to sacrifice nutrition. Join us as Liz and I share lots of practical insights into this timely topic.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Background on Liz and her story
- Why Liz and her family changed their relationship with food
- How to navigate a grocery store and find the good foods
- How to buy good food online
- How to buy food from local farms
- Finding balance instead of stress about eating organic
- Putting a face to your food whenever you can
- Tips for connecting to local food sources
- Where to buy salt
- Old-Fashioned kitchen techniques that help save money
- Looking at cleaning products
- Plant-based vs. animal-based products
- Suburbs: are people there into real food?
- Strategies for dealing with rising food costs and eating healthy on a budget
- Final tips and advice
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Be sure to check out Toups & Co, a small homestead family that makes amazing skin products from natural ingredients. Go to www.theprairiehomestead.com/makeup and save 15% with code HOMESTEAD.
Find Liz at:
Podcast: The Homegrown Podcast
My (New) Old-School Blog: www.prairiephilosophy.com
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger
More Real Food Resources & Thoughts:
- Real Food is Expensive: Myths vs. Reality (podcast episode)
- What if You Couldn’t Buy Food at the Grocery Store? (podcast episode)
- Demystifying Grocery Ingredients (podcast episode)
- How to Start Buying Local Food (blog article)