If you’ve ever wondered why kids don’t crave independent, creative play as they did a generation ago, or why today’s kids don’t often complete things solely for the satisfaction of achievement, you’re gonna love this podcast episode.
Susan Linn is an author, psychologist, and world-renowned expert on creative play and provides insight into smartphones and social-media dopamine while giving us practical ways to bring back creativity to middle childhood.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- What is ‘middle childhood’?
- Modern culture marketing with our children
- What’s healthy when it comes to play for middle children?
- Why society seems to discourage ‘play’ for kids…
- The problem with modern toys…
- The issues with modern technology and play…
- The addictive issues with modern technology for adults & kids
- What can we do to get kids to spend less time with technology?
- Why it’s hard to be a modern parent…
- When did the commercialization of childhood happen?
- Why are there two seemingly clashing perspectives today: “not enough play” and “not ready to adult”?
- The problem with modern culture’s obsession with ‘winning’
- Final tips and encouragement
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Find Susan Linn here: susanlinn.net
If you’ve had a rough gardening season, or just want to improve your garden soil, check out this episode’s sponsor, Redmond’s Agriculture, & my favorite soil kit option on the market, right here: theprairiehomestead.com/soiltest. Be sure to use code HOMESTEAD & save 15% off your entire order!
My (New) Old-School Blog: www.prairiephilosophy.com
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger
More of My Thoughts on Raising Kids:
- Free-Range Kids: How & Why (podcast episode)
- Homesteading with Littles: Strategies from a Experienced Mama (podcast episode)
- The Incredible Gift of Failure for Kids (podcast episode)
- Raising Old-Fashioned Kids in a High Tech World (blog article)