In this podcast episode, we have a fascinating guest, Lenore Skenazy, the author of the book Free-Range Kids and the founder of a nonprofit that is making it easy, normal, and legal to give kids independence.
We’re diving into an intriguing topic of free-range kids and the impact it has on them when adults mitigate all risks. We’ll talk about how as a society we got where we are, with parents afraid to let their kids play in the front yard or walk to the corner. And we’ll outline practical steps parents can take to give kids a free-range lifestyle–outside and off of electronics–no matter where they live, from a rural homestead to a bustling city.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- How did our modern culture get where we are with our parenting methods?
- The issues with our modern culture: blaming, liability, media, etc.
- Thoughts on helicopter parenting…
- Thoughts on fear of strangers…
- Thoughts on modern ideas of safety…
- What does it do to our kids when we hover and eliminate all risk?
- What free play can do for our kids as they grow up…
- Advice for parents dealing with the culture push toward having your kids do ‘all the things’?
- Cold hard facts: what is legal and not legal for ‘free range’ kids?
- Effects of helicopter culture on parents…
- Neglect vs. Trust…
- “When adults step back, kids step up”
- Rural parents vs. city parents…what can you do if you live in the city?
- How can you help kids get used to free play again?
- We can do this, but it will take effort and intention!
- Final advice…
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Find Lenore at:
the Let Grow Project & programs: https://letgrow.org/program/the-let-grow-project/
more about Let Grow Play Clubs: https://letgrow.org/program/play-club/
Contact Lenore directly at Lskenazy@yahoo.com
Want to know more about the sustainable, reusable canning lids I mentioned in this episode, and stop worrying about unforeseen shortages that could happen again this summer? Here’s the training video I promised: https://youtu.be/rFBwPVN-Ye4
For a limited time, while supplies are currently available, use code HOMESTEAD to save 15% (and enjoy free shipping) right here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/canninglids
My (New) Old-School Blog: www.prairiephilosophy.com
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Head to http://prairieplanner.com/ to get your 2022 Prairie Planner today!
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger