Podcast: Play in new window | Download
When it comes to how to motivate kids, our society gets a lot wrong.
If you ever find yourself seconding guess your parenting choices that don’t always look like the rest of society’s parenting choices, definitely listen in to my talk with Jessica Lahey today.
In today’s episode, Jessica explains why extrinsic motivators (aka a parent begging, punishing, or bribing) don’t boost a child’s intrinsic motivation. And we dive into detail about all the better options.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Background on why Jessica wrote this book
- How did our parenting styles shift over time?
- Over-parenting: why it’s hard to avoid and why it can be bad
- Best advice for boosting kid’s intrinsic motivation
- What are our kids missing out on if we don’t allow them to fail?
- Is the fear of failure being perpetuated from parents or is it a natural thing our kids pick up?
- What does the data show about overparenting?
- How did your parenting change as you wrote this book?
- Was it hard to transition to a new method of parenting?
- Why are chores so crucial for kids?
- How the gift of failure is for everyone, not just kids
- A closer look at generation differences (and nostalgia for the past)
- Book recommendations…
- Final advice…
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Jessica is the author of The Gift of Failure (https://bit.ly/3QF1MEN) and The Addiction Inoculation (https://bit.ly/3K93tIm).
The books Jessica mentioned:
How to Be a Person by Catherine Newman: https://bookshop.org/a/5789/9781635861822
Your Turn by Julie Lythcott-Haims: https://bookshop.org/a/5789/9781250137777
Where to find Jessica:
#amwriting podcast: https://amwriting.substack.com/
If you’ve had a rough gardening season, or just want to improve your garden soil, check out this episode’s sponsor, Redmond’s Agriculture, & my favorite soil kit option on the market, right here: theprairiehomestead.com/soiltest. Be sure to use code HOMESTEAD & save 15% off your entire order!
My (New) Old-School Blog: www.prairiephilosophy.com
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger
More of My Thoughts on Raising Kids:
- Free-Range Kids: How & Why (podcast episode)
- Homesteading with Littles: Strategies from a Experienced Mama (podcast episode)
- The 7 Lessons a Homestead will Teach Your Kids (podcast episode)
- Raising Old-Fashioned Kids in a High Tech World (blog article)