In this podcast episode, I’m welcoming back Susan Linn, psychologist, lecturer on psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, and the author a few landmark books, including her just-released Who’s Raising the Kids?
Is big business raising our kids today? And how we can fight back?
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Who IS raising the kids?
- The good and bad with technology and the businesses that own them…
- What are devices (modern tech entertainment) doing to our kids?
- Creativity and flexibility concerns with modern apps and tech
- Persuading our kids with commercials and buying things for happiness
- The issues of using a “reward system” for our kids
- The best toys for kids…
- Tricking our kids with sets so that they want MORE
- Influence of tech and our schools
- Marketing and nagging/pestering parents…
- Intentional divisive devices…
- How devices can distract parents from their kids
- Adults: this isn’t about feeling guilty, it’s about being aware of the issues
- How can parents find the middle ground today?
- The power behind the ideas of ‘boredom’ and ‘failure’
- How to train our kids about becoming more aware of marketing, ads, and the goals of big businesses
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Find Susan Linn here: susanlinn.net
Our other podcast episode together: Season 10: Episode 6: The Magic of Play with Susan Linn
My (New) Old-School Blog: www.prairiephilosophy.com
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger