My journey into a more natural way of life has occured in a series of steps.
I started out by learning how to actually cook food from scratch. (No more boxed mixes, packages, or cans…)
Then came the home food production. (Gardening, dairy animals, home raised meat…)
And most recently, I have developed a strong desire to learn how to care for my family’s health in a more natural, logical way than running to the doctor’s office for every sniffle or sneeze.
I had heard a lot of hype about essential oils for a long time, but I stubbornly held out for quite a while before trying any of them.
Needless to say, once I did, I was hooked.
At first I just purchased a few random oils from the local health food store. But the stern warnings on the labels saying “Do Not Ingest!” kinda scared me off.
Thankfully, soon after that I was introduced to doTERRA: a brand of high-quality essential oils that are safe for topical, aromatic, AND internal use.
After using a few of the oils and seeing the results, it didn’t take me long to sign up as a consultant. I find myself reaching for my oils multiple times per day.
A few of the ways I use my doTERRA essential oils:
- I diffuse them in my living room to help with allergies or just to freshen things up. It only takes a few drops in the lotus diffuser.
- I use 2 drops each of lavender, peppermint, and lemon in a gelatin capsule and swallow to help manage my seasonal allergies.
- My husband has severe asthma and has found that Breathe combined with Lime helps to cut down on his inhaler use. I also use Breathe when I feel a bit “wheezy” from my hay fever allergies.
- We place 3 drops of DigestZen in a gelatin capsule and swallow for heartburn.
- I mix up a fly spray using TerraShield to naturally repel insects on my horses and milk cow.
- Hubby quickly cleared up a case of athlete’s foot by using oregano.
- I used oregano to treat a wart on my leg.
- I like to use lemon, melalueca, or the citrus oils in my homemade cleaners, or when I mop the floor.
- I add lavender and lemon to my homemade laundry detergent.
- I will be adding lavender to the next batch of homemade udder salve I mix up.
- I use lavender and TerraShield when the flies attack my dog’s ears and leave open sores.
- I use take several drops of On Guard in a capsule when I feel a cold coming on. It knocks it down immediately!
- We like to treat cold and flu symptoms exclusively with oils- no modern medicines required.
- I used On Guard to clear up several cases of mastitis
- I used Purify and frankincense to treat a nasty dog bite on hubby’s hand– with zero conventional antibiotics of any kind!
- I diffuse the oils in my home to clear the oil and make it smell pretty. No more candles that give off nasty, toxic stuff.
- And the list goes on…
Are doTERRA oils more expensive than the ones that you can buy at the health food store?
But when it comes to essential oils, you get what you pay for… So, I don’t mind paying extra for something that I can be confident in. doTERRA’s oils are rigorously tested to ensure quality and purity:
“doTERRA’s Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils are guaranteed to be 100% pure and natural and free of synthetic compounds or contaminates. They are subjected to rigorous mass spectrometry and gas chromatography testing to ensure extract composition and activity. doTERRA’s 100% pure essential oils represent the safest and most beneficial essential oils available today.” (From the doTERRA website)
Here’s some more info regarding essential oils and doTERRA:
- You can download the full doTERRA product catalog HERE.
- What exactly are essential oils?
- How long have essential oils been in use?
- The 3 main ways to apply essential oils
- How are essential oils made?
- Using oils safely
- More about the doTERRA company
Ready to try some doTERRA oils for yourself? There are several options available- click over to my step-by-step guide on purchasing oils for details.
If you have more questions about essential oils or doTERRA, don’t hesitate to contact me. I’d love to chat with you!
(And just in case you were wondering, making a purchase through my online store does give me a small kick-back that helps to support the work that I do on The Prairie Homestead. Of course, you are under no obligation to use my link if you choose not to.)
Please know that I’m not promoting these oils in an effort to “get rich quick.” They have truly worked for me and my family and I can’t help but want to share them with my readers.