Motherhood has really taught me how to mellow out.
And it’s a good thing–especially considering my former uptight, perfectionistic ways.
I have learned how to:
- Have people over without giving the goose poop on the deck a second thought.
- Come to complete acceptance of the fact that there will always be crumbs on my floor.
- Wear my pig-slimed jeans to town with pride.
I’m especially proud of my most recent development: I can now watch the kids mix up ALL the playdough colors, and I don’t even flinch.
Speaking of playdough, I have the perfect homemade playdough recipe to share with you today–I’ve been mixing up batches of this stuff like crazy!
Homemade playdough recipes are a dime-a-dozen, but mine has a secret ingredient: essential oils.
Not only does the addition of essential oils make your homemade playdough smell pretty, but there are many health benefits associated with essential oils as well. As in scientifically-proven-benefit-stuff. So, your kiddos (or grandkiddos) will be getting added benefits as they roll out their playdough snakes, cookies, and shapes.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s very flexible and forgiving (and cheap!)–so don’t hesitate to bring the kids into the kitchen to make it with you!
Basic Homemade Playdough Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons liquid cooking oil (I used olive oil, since that’s all I had, but anything will work!)
- Food coloring
- 6-8 drops of essential oils of your choice (my favorite essential oils)
In a sauce pan, stir the flour, salt, and cream of tartar together.
Add in the water, cooking oil, and food coloring and mix until smooth.
Turn on the heat to medium-low, and stir until the mixture forms a ball.
Once the mixture has reached playdough-consistency, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for 3-4 minutes.
Knead in the essential oils of your choice.
Store in an air-tight container. (Storing it in the fridge will make it last even longer!)
Essential Oil Options
- Lime: for uplifting and energizing
- Lemon: for focus and clarity
- Lavender: for calming and promoting restful sleep
- Wild Orange: for uplifting and energizing
- Grapefruit: uplifting and relieves tension
- Peppermint: invigorating and provides mental clarity
You can also create combinations:
- Wild Orange and Peppermint is a popular combo for increased concentration
- Lemon, Wild Orange, and Lime combine for a happy citrus scent
I’ve found that kids are often drawn to the oils they need. Lemon is Prairie Girl’s favorite essential oil, and she requests it constantly. Interestingly enough, focusing is something with which she needs a bit of help. Coincidence? I’m gonna say no.
- I usually use high-quality ingredients when I cook–but when I make playdough, I just use cheap stuff.
- Why the cream of tartar? It make the texture and volume of the dough a little more pleasing, but if you don’t have it, just omit it.
- I do use regular, cheap food coloring in this recipe. I suppose you could experiment with natural dyes, but I haven’t gone there… yet.
- How long does it last? I’ve had batches that have lasted for months–it depends on how air-tight your container is.
But it doesn’t stop with homemade playdough…
As you know, I use essential oils in my home on a daily basis–playdough is just the beginning!