Motherhood has really taught me how to mellow out.
And it’s a good thing–especially considering my former uptight, perfectionistic ways.
I have learned how to:
- Have people over without giving the goose poop on the deck a second thought.
- Come to complete acceptance of the fact that there will always be crumbs on my floor.
- Wear my pig-slimed jeans to town with pride.
I’m especially proud of my most recent development: I can now watch the kids mix up ALL the playdough colors, and I don’t even flinch.
Speaking of playdough, I have the perfect homemade playdough recipe to share with you today–I’ve been mixing up batches of this stuff like crazy!
Homemade playdough recipes are a dime-a-dozen, but mine has a secret ingredient: essential oils.
Not only does the addition of essential oils make your homemade playdough smell pretty, but there are many health benefits associated with essential oils as well. As in scientifically-proven-benefit-stuff. So, your kiddos (or grandkiddos) will be getting added benefits as they roll out their playdough snakes, cookies, and shapes.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s very flexible and forgiving (and cheap!)–so don’t hesitate to bring the kids into the kitchen to make it with you!
Basic Homemade Playdough Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons liquid cooking oil (I used olive oil, since that’s all I had, but anything will work!)
- Food coloring
- 6-8 drops of essential oils of your choice (my favorite essential oils)
In a sauce pan, stir the flour, salt, and cream of tartar together.
Add in the water, cooking oil, and food coloring and mix until smooth.
Turn on the heat to medium-low, and stir until the mixture forms a ball.… [Continue Reading]