Before becoming a parent, I would have seen the title to this post and yawned…
Now that I am a parent, I consider it life-saving information.
Several months ago, Prairie Baby (I really need to start calling her something else since we’ll have another baby in the house in a few months!) discovered the joy of crayons.
And not only are they joyful on paper, but also on walls, doors, molding, furniture…. You get the idea.
So, what else is a blogger to do other than post a frantic question to their Facebook wall?
I ended up with a wealth of responses (because ya’ll are simply awesome) ranging from vinegar to those Magic Eraser thingies to Softscrub and everything in between.
After some trial and error, I knew that vinegar wouldn’t work. And my hot soapy water wasn’t cutting it either. I don’t like most Softscrubs because of the bleach, and I’ve heard mixed reviews about the safety of the Magic Erasers.
So, there I was.
I was ready to break out the paint and just cover up the scribbles, when my handy friend and neighbor, Jana, suggested using lemon essential oil.
Yeah. Ok. Worth a try, right?
It worked like magic.
I’m talking within seconds of lightly rubbing the marks with a drop or two of lemon oil on my finger, they were gone.
No elbow grease, no sweat, no chemicals. Wahoo!
Here are just a couple tips to keep in mind:
- I’m not sure this will work so great on flat paint. I used it on a satin paint as well as semi-gloss with great success. But, flat paint smudges so badly, I’m not sure anything would help that. (Thankfully, not very many people use flat paint in their homes)
- If you have a really big area to “erase” you might slightly dilute the lemon oil with something like olive oil so you don’t end up using a whole bottle. Or even a small amount of water would work.
- You can use a rag or your finger to rub the oil into the marks.
- Make sure you are using a high-quality grade of essential oils. The cheapie ones at the health food store aren’t great.
- This works on other stains, too. I’ve even started spot-treating some of my tough laundry stains with lemon essential oil.