I am the queen of the farmer’s tan.
I’ve never purposely tanned in my entire life, but I do tend to get quite brown since I work outside so much during the summer. (Ok, my ARMS get quite brown… Everything else is bright white.)
You know how it goes… You’re immersed in a fascinating homestead project, and you end up becoming so enamored with it, you forget to cover up or at least put on some natural sunscreen. And then you end up paying for it later…
I’ve had that happen one-too-many-times, which is why I came up with this easy after-sun spray recipe.
I keep a spritzer bottle available at all times during the summer, and have had more than one friend and family member request the recipe. It feels THAT good.
(This post contains affiliate links)
Homemade After-Sun Spray Recipe
You Will Need:
- 1/2 cup witch hazel (where to buy witch hazel)
- 2 tablespoons pure aloe vera gel (where to buy aloe vera gel)
- 10 drops of pure lavender essential oil (these are my favorite essential oils)
- 10 drops of pure peppermint essential oil
- 4 oz (or larger) spray bottle (like these)
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into spray bottle, shake well, and apply generously to skin that needs cooling. Be sure to avoid spraying around the eyes, as it will sting.
The spray feels a bit sticky at first, but gets better as it dries. I figure it was a toss up between sticky or crispy. I chose sticky.
Re-apply as often as needed. I re-sprayed every half hour or so at first.
Lavender essential oil is famous for its ability to soothe occasional skin irritations. This makes it my #1 choice for inclusion in this recipe.
Peppermint essential oil provides a soothing, cooling sensation. However, if you have very sensitive skin, it may be wise to start out with a lesser amount of Peppermint oil, just to make sure the spray isn’t too intense for you.
Can I use other essential oils?
Sure! You might also try adding melaleuca (aka tea tree oil) or frankincense.
- ½ cup witch hazel or water
- 2 Tablespoons pure aloe vera gel
- 10 drops pure Lavender essential oil
- 10 drops pure Peppermint essential oil
- 4 oz (or larger) spray bottle
- Combine all ingredients
- Mix well
- Pour into spray bottle
Other DIY Essential Oil posts:
- All-Purpose Protective Essential Oil Blend
- DIY Waterless Hand Cleanser
- DIY Bug Bite Relief Stick
- DIY Laundry Spot Remover
- 10 Must-Try Essential Oil Blends for your Diffuser