How to Can Dry Beans

how to can dry beans

For me, one of the keys to cooking real food is to have a pantry stocked with real food ‘building blocks’ that I have prepared ahead of time.

I always have a supply of homemade broth/stock, home-canned tomato sauce, applesauce, pickles, and multiple other items. It makes it easy to put together a real-food meal without spending 6 hours in the kitchen each and every day.

I love cooking with dried beans (black beans, red beans, pinto beans, navy beans, you get the picture…), but they can take a lot of time to prepare. If you are starting from scratch, expect to soak them overnight, and then cook them for several hours.

It’s not a complicated process, but it definitely makes deciding to have refried beans for supper at the last minute pretty much impossible.

To combat this problem, I like to make big batches of beans at once.

To preserve my beans, I prefer canning over freezing. Here’s why:

1. My freezer space is limited, and I’d rather use it to store things like meat.

2. I seriously struggle with remembering to take things out of the freezer so they have time to defrost. And a frozen jar of beans takes for.ev.er to thaw out…

3. In the event of a power outage, my canned beans are ready-to-go at a moment’s notice. Even if my freezer was without power and the food in it spoiled, my canned items would be ok.

Now this is very important if you are planning on canning beans:

**You MUST use a pressure canner to can beans– a water bath canner WILL NOT cut it. Any time you are preserving low-acid foods (like beans), a pressure canner is required.**

How to Use a Pressure Canner

You can check out my 3-part How to Use a Pressure Canner series here. It’s really not as intimidating as you think– promise!

Got your bag of beans ready? Let’s do this!

How to Pressure Can Beans

Supplies:

• Dried beans (kidney, black beans, pinto, navy, etc) **see my note below regarding amounts
  • Water
  • Quart or pint sized mason jars with lids/rings
  • A pressure canner

Instructions:

Pick through your beans to remove any foreign objects, then place them in a large bowl and cover with plenty of water. Allow them to soak overnight.

how to pressure can beans

(You can add 2 Tablespoons whey, vinegar, or lemon juice to your soaking water if you wish. Some folks report that it makes them easier to digest- although I haven’t noticed a whole lot of difference. Either way, it doesn’t hurt to try.)

The next morning, drain and rinse the beans. Place in a large pot and cover them by about 2 inches of fresh water. Bring to a boil. (Stir frequently and watch carefully– those beans LOVE to boil over!)

Ladle the hot beans into hot jars (no need to sterilize them, but they should be clean and hot), leaving 1″ headspace. Fill with the cooking liquid, again, leaving 1″ headspace. Put lids and rings on the jars.

how to can beans

Place them in a pressure canner and process at 10 pounds* pressure:

• Pints for 1 hour, 15 minutes
  • Quarts for 1 hour, 30 minutes

(*You will need to adjust your pressure depending on your altitude. I have to process at 15 pounds pressure since we are at 6,500 feet. My pressure canning tutorial has more info.)

Remove from canner and let cool, checking all lids for proper seals before storing.

Kitchen Notes:

• Bean Amounts: My Ball Blue Book calls for about 3/4 pound of dried beans per quart jar. For my last batch, I used 11 pounds of dried red beans and that filled about 9 quart jars (give or take a little). If you end up with extra, you can always freeze them, or eat them for supper that night.
  • After you boil the beans and are ready to put them in jars, they won’t be fully softened. The pressure canner will do the rest of the cooking, so don’t panic. ;)
  • Some tutorials do a “quick soak” method which instructs you to bring the dry beans to a boil, let them stand for one hour, and then proceed with canning. I suppose you can do this if you like, but I prefer the overnight soak. It makes sense to me that that would make them slightly easier to digest, but that’s just my uneducated opinion.
  • If you like, you can add some salt to each jar (1/2 teaspoon for pints, 1 teaspoon for quarts). This is purely for added flavor- it plays no part in the preservation process. I usually leave mine unsalted and season accordingly when I’m ready to use them.

So what do you do with all those canned beans?

Lots of stuff! Make up a batch of my famous refried beans, add them to burrito filling, make my venison chili recipe, add to soups, or season and eat as-is. The sky is the limit when it comes to the bean. :)

How to Can Dry Beans

• Dried beans (kidney, black beans, pinto, navy, etc)
  • Water
  • Quart or pint sized mason jars with lids/rings
  • A pressure canner

1. Remove any foreign objects from beans
  2. Place in large bowl and cover with water
  3. Optional: Add 2 Tablespoons whey, vinegar, or lemon juice to soaking water
  4. Soak overnight
  5. Drain and rinse beans
  6. Place in large pot
  7. Cover with 2 inches of fresh water
  8. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently and watching to prevent boiling over
  9. Ladle beans into hot jars (no need to sterilize as long as they're clean and hot), leaving 1" headspace
  10. Fill with cooking liquid, again, leaving 1" headspace
  11. Put lids and rings on jars
  12. Place jars in pressure canner and process at 10 pounds* pressure:
  13. Pints for 1 hour, 15 minutes
  14. Quarts for 1 hour, 30 minutes
  15. Remove from canner and let cool, checking all lids for proper seals before storing

Notes

Other Canning Goodies:

Comments

1. Hi Geat info! About how many cups of cooked beans equals the 3/4 cup per quart jar? Is that dried weight or cooked weight? Thanks!!!

2. Another GREAT Idea !!!!
    Thank You Jill…Will Definitely try this.

3. I’ve never canned beans but this is a good idea! I’m a super busy mom but I buy big bags of organic dry beans as they cost pennies to make meals out of.
    we de-gas beans (which makes them easier to digest) by never cooking the beans in the water they were soaked in and skimming off the foam off the top at the beginning boiling stage. I have noticed that it makes a difference! I have never heard of adding vinegar, lemon juice or whey to it! learn something everyday :)

• Rebecca Bandy says:

You can also rinse store bought canned beans before cooking…and it will de-gas
      the beans. I soak beans over night and rinse them again before I resoak
      the next day. Many people don’t eat beans because of the gassiness.

4. Thanks for the idea of using vinegar to help with digestion. Im soaking a bunch of black beans now and just added some acv to the water. May add again during the cooking stage to see if that helps.

5. awesome! They look beautiful! Good job!!!!

6. I canned pinto beans and they were very soft after canning. This is not a problem for refried beans. I want to can some white beans for other dishes. My husband does not want them as soft as the pinto beans turned out. Will the white beans be as soft as the pinto beans when canned?
    Thank you.

• Hmmm… So far, I’ve just used one can of my white beans– and I pureed them in a recipe– so I can’t say for sure how soft they are. Sorry! :)

• The first time I canned beans I used your method, and found them to be too soft. Since then I soak them overnight but I don’t boil them before canning them. The beans turn out great this way. I love having a pantry full of all different types of canned beans!

• Good to know Erica!

• I just canned beans for the first time following the original method. I used cannellini beans as they hold their shape very well when cooked. After removing them from the pressure canner, I noticed they had partially turned to mush. I think Erica’s Idea is a good one. And, I will definitely not cook them prior to canning because I soaked them overnight.

• I am having the hardest time finding dry cannellini beans. Where did you find them? (I’m in WA, and all I can find is the already canned type at the store, but we LOVE them so much, I want to cut our grocery budget and can them myself instead!)

• How much more did they expand? Did you have to leave extra space?

• Stephanie says:

I soak my beans in the jar overnight. Then rinse in the morning. Refill with warm water, and start in a luke warm pressure cooker. They come out soft, but not too soft. 3/4 cup for pints, 1 1/4 for quarts.

7. Have you thought about grinding the beans and adding them to boiling water to make the refried beans? That would be a quick idea, too.

8. Another AWESOME post! Thank you THANK YOU! It seems so simple, but when you start adding up each can of beans I buy each shopping trip, I could have had SOOOO much more doing it this way! I have had some jars of beans in the pantry patiently waiting for me to cook them…… Now I will! And yes, the pressure cooker is intimidating, I will admit. The hissing and my imagination running wild on its about to blow, LOL! Now I can put some of my JAR collection to use and prove to my husband that there WAS a reason I was saving all of my jars!! LOL! Keep the awesome ideas coming!! I have since made Homemade French Bread and Tortillas from your recipes!! Hopefully I can get my Mom and friends interested in making the effort to make their own!

9. You can make beans in 1 day to have for dinner. Here’s how I do it: 1 lb of dried beans in pot and cover with water at least 1-2 inches over the beans. Boil for 10 minutes or you can let it come to a boil for a couple minutes and let it sit all day with the lid on. Drain. Place in pressure cooker (a regular pressure cooker, not a canner). Add fresh water to cover the beans by at least 2 inches or up to fill mark of your pot. For refried beans I add 1 T oil, 2 cloves garlic, 1 diced onion, 2 t salt. Place lid on pot. Bring to pressure, when it starts rockin’ turn heat down a little (as long as the indicator is still rocking, I put it on medium high) and time for 50 minutes. Done! The timing may be different depending on your pressure cooker. I have gone through several (my kids have lost the indicator or it has gotten eaten by the garbage disposal) and 50 minutes is about average.

10. Linda Center says:

Hey Jill, thanks for confirming what I’ve been doing for years – and I do it the same way. I know folks who add bacon or ham and I have made bean with bacon soup and canned that – just DELISH. Love my home canned beans and so do my family and friends! I have actually canned pints of various beans (including garbanzos) and given them as gifts at Christmas. Add a couple jars of home made jelly and it is such a hit. Blessings girl – this Gramma loves your tips.

11. Great idea Jill!
    I was thinking of doing entire jars of chili with some of the beans that I grow. Have you ever canned chili?

• Not yet– but it’s on my list!

• Oh, you’ll love it. I canned some chili for the first time a few weeks ago. I found a recipe online for Chili Con Carne on the National Center for Home Food Preservation. Probably some of the tastiest chili that’s come out of my kitchen!

12. Thanks for this great post. I can many things, but I guess I never even thought of canning beans. This would make life so much easier since I always forget to take my beans out of the freezer. Thank you!

13. Since I live in Colorado (at about 6,500, too) beans take forever to cook, so I learned to pressure cook (not pressure can, just pressure cook) beans from dry beans to done in just under an hour. With the newer pressure cookers, it’s safe to cook beans, if you follow all the instructions that come with them. I’ve never had a problem. Just my 2 cents, and another way to get beans to the table fairly fast.

14. Jill, so glad to have found your website! We live about 15 miles from Cheyenne so it’s good to have someone in “the neighborhood” who is writting about all of this. We eat a lot of beans so I will definitely be trying this. I have trouble keeping my stove burner (propane) hot enough to can things. I thought it was the altitude but you are even higher than we are (6,200). What type of stove are you using? Our old house had an electric stove and I never had a problem.

15. Brenda Bastin says:

I used to can beans that way until 3 years ago when my sister came to visit. She told me I did it the hard way. She had me sort and wash my beans. Then put 1 1/2 cups of the uncooked washed beans in quart size sterile jars, add 1 tsp. salt and fill with water leaving 1 inch head space. Process in pressure canner for 90 minutes. I have done them this way ever since.

• Handful says:

This is how I do mine. No need to cook first as they cook while processing. I do black beans, pinto beans with spices for refried beans and garbanzo beans. I am going to try baked beans and chili beans this winter after I get my garden processed.

• what pressure do you use? 10 lbs?

16. Could I use this method for chic peas?

17. Meredith Rauch says:

I don’t have a pressure canner. Can you do this by processing in a hot water bath? How long would it need to process?

• No, unfortunately, you definitely need a pressure canner to do the beans. Because they are a low-acid food, a water bath canner just isn’t safe enough.

18. This is a great tutorial. I’ve tried to can beans before, but it never works out. I love the chemistry of the process…will follow your direction!

19. Can I add bacon? I am going to get back into canning this summer. Have to purchase a pressure cooker first as I sold my other one about 20 years ago when I quit canning! Big mistake! Anyway, I’ve never canned beans before and will be happy to try it. Thanks for the tutorial!

• Yes, I definitely think you could add bacon–however– you might want to do a quick Google search to find out if you need to adjust the cooking times.

20. Quick question: My All American instruction manual has much lower processing times at higher altitudes. It doesn’t list kidney beans or black beans specifically, but for example lima beans are only supposed to be processed at 15 lbs pressure for 30 minutes? Ack! Doing my canner for the first time, what do I do?

21. I’ve been freezing my beans but would much rather can for the same reasons you listed. I’m curious though – what is the shelf life of the canned beans?

• We’ve been canning beans for several years, and while Ball says 1 year, we’ve been able to use ours well past 5 years. Not that they last that long of course, but it’s been known to happen when a jar gets ‘lost’ in the back of the pantry…

22. I am going to pressure my dry beans at fifteen pounds of pressure. Will 35 minutes be enough?

23. I can my dry beans, too. Very handy ! …I cook mine with fatback, so I process them 100 minutes @15 pounds of pressure, just like I would do if I were canning meat.

24. Deborah says:

Would this help to use up dried beans that are older? I have friends that store more than they used within a few year and now they are hard to cook

25. I’m a newbie to all this…is a pressure cooker and pressure canner the same thing?

26. Margie Duzan says:

Why does my beans turn out soft and real mush on the bottom of the jars?
    I tried soaking in hot water for 3 hours and canning at differ pressure
    10 lbs. & 15 lbs. both for 90 minutes still mush can you please help me

• I read “somewhere” that the alkalinity of the water can make them mushy, so softened water should not be used.

27. Linda Moudry says:

Like Brenda (above posting), I can my beans without cooking them first. I use the same proportions as she does (1 1/2 c dry washed beans per quart jar, 1 tsp salt, fill with water). The beans are always tender but not overcooked after processing. if we’ve had a baked ham with a bone, I simmer the bone til the ham falls off and I will then can beans with ham in them. I use cup of dry beans per quart jar in that case and no salt, as the ham tends to be salty enough. I put about 1/2 c. of ham chunks in the bottom of the jar, add the beans, and use the broth from simmering the ham bone for the liquid. Yummy!!! Most of the beans I can get done a couple jars at a time to fill up my canner when whatever else I’m canning doesn’t do so! If you’re canning the beans dry, so quick and easy to add a jar or two to fill up the canner!

28. Linda Moudry says:

Oops, I left out something important~ I do not soak the beans either, before canning them! Just wash them and sort them.

29. I soaked 4lbs of pinto beans overnight and then rinsed them. I put 1tsp of taco seasoning in the bottom of each jar and filled with beans and fresh water and pressure canned pints for 90 mins. All ready for meatless tacos.

30. SHAWN MCCREA says:

I BOUGHT NAVY BEANS BY MISTAKE WANTING TO MAKE BAKED BEANS. WHAT CAN I DO WITH THEM? HOW DO I USE THEM?

31. Margaret Bowen says:

Is it ok to add jalapenos, if so…would I get the beans ready in jars and then add jalapenos?

• I don’t see why that would be a problem. :) I’ve never tried it, but I think adding them to the hot jars and then dumping the beans on top should be perfectly fine.

32. Hi–down here on the CO plains, we grow almost everything we eat. This year we are trying kidney beans and it is working out (so far). Has anyone ever tried canning fresh kidney beans?

• Hmmm… No, I haven’t done much with fresh beans– just dried ones. I imagine it would be pretty similar though. I bet the Ball Blue Book might have some ideas for you. :)

33. Melody Judd says:

I have been canning beans for about 20 yrs now, but I have never cooked them before as you do I just let the pressure cooker do that for me. we have 2 cookers so I do a lot of jars at once. The beans are nice and tender chilli or hummus or anything else with beans are a snap!! love to pressure cook. We live in the desert so I only need to cook mine for 75 min for pints and 90 min for qts. I loved your site. we only have an acre but we plant a garden and do a lot of canning

34. So, my husband canned pinto beans using a water bath. We took one of the cans off of the shelf for dinner, the beans tasted “funny” so we and our kids stopped eating them. Now I’m worried! What should we do? Just wait to see if we start feeling sick?

• Yes, beans must be canned with a pressure canner because they are low acid. I don’t really have any advice for you as far as the sickness thing- sorry! I hope everything is ok!

35. Love my canned beans. Hubby asked me the other weekend why was I canning dried beans. FOR THE CONVENIENCE! Last night I finely diced up the 1/2 chicken I had left, dumped in a large can of tomato soup (yes store bought), a jar of my black beans and a package of tomatoes I vacuumed packed and froze this summer added some onions and chili powder. Hubby will turn on crock pot this afternoon and chili done for supper. Just add crackers!

36. So, aren’t you supposed to boil low acid canned foods for about 10-20 minutes before eating?

• I don’t–as long as you use a pressure canner to can low-acid stuff, I don’t think it’s a problem.

• My father, a health inspector way back when, always had us boil ANY low acid canned foods for 10 minutes, even store bought. One of my sisters does that to this day. I have never bothered and don’t seem the worse for it, but it does no harm to do so. Any heat- sensitive vitamin loss would have already happened in the canning process.

37. OK, I am about 4000 feet and did my quarts at 15 lbs for 90 mins and very few of the lids stayed on. Yes, I cleaned the mouths of the jars and no I didn’t over fill. Any other tips? My local friends say only cook 20-30 mins -they say I was overcooking.

• Hmmm… usually when I’ve had non-sealers, it’s b/c I underfill or overfill. Were you lids new? Maybe if they were old, the sealant was bad or something?

38. I love canning beans: Boston Baked Beans, Chili, Split pea soup. I’ll can up plain beans and lentils for soups, stews and salads. Makes things so nice. Last batch of pintos I canned up I added a garlic clove, some cumin and chili powder to make a refried bean mix. I’d love to try having the refried beans made up first, but they are too thick and won’t can properly. I do soak the beans before canning, but I’ve cooked them afterwords. I think I’ll try your way next time I can some. It won’t be long, I’m out of pea soup again.

39. Sherri Rogerson says:

If the beans are old, don’t add salt until after they have been cooked. The salt will keep them from softening.

40. S.L.Lockhart says:

Just a bit curious about the water you are soaking these beans in. In my experience I have found if you don’t use HOT water to start the soak with, the beans will start to sprout over-night. I just use very hot or boiling water to stop this process.
    Thanks for the recipe!!!
    I will be using it soon.

• Hmmm…. I’ve never had them sprout overnight–interesting! I’m sure starting with hot water won’t hurt though. :)

• S.L.Lockhart says:

I actually had it happen to me earlier this year, a first for me to be sure.
        I don’t always soak my beans before cooking but I try to do it because we like the taste better.
        I also add a bit of chopped ham, or some fried bacon, or even some salt pork fried and then put in the beans.
        I like to soak them and then put them in a crock-pot to cook overnight on low. Then the next day when we are ready for them they are ready, cooked and very well done. Without all the fuss of having to check on them all day and keep stirring them too.

41. Billy Shaffer says:

This is the method I’ve used for years and has always worked for me. Clean and sort beans. Wash through several waters and add water to cover plus about 2 inches. Bring to a boil add teaspoon baking soda and boil 5 minutes. Drain well and add a med onion quartered along with fresh hot water to cover plus about 2 or 3 inches. Cook about 1 1/2 hours, add salt and pepper to taste and cook another 15 minutes. Ladle into jars and seal with lids that have been in boiling water. I store these in an extra fridge and they will last a good three to six months. Also the soda removes the gas that everyone complains about.

42. I wonder if it’s possible to increase the acidity in order to can them in a water bath? I don’t really have the ability to by a pressure cooker right now, and I would love to be able to can soups, pumpkin puree, and beans. What would you sugggest or must I get a pressure cooker?

43. Daniel Gravel says:

how do you feel about the canning jars that have the metal lids?

44. Linda Jackson says:

Have you ever tried canning the beans without precooking them? I found out about it on YouTube. You put 1/2 cup of beans in a pint jar or 1 cup in a quart. Add 1/2 tsp salt to the pint or 1 tsp. to the quart. Fill within 1 inch of the top of the jar with water and process the same amount of time you did for the cooked beans. So easy and much faster with less mess and they are wonderful.

45. I have some questions…
    So, are you canning cooked dried beans or partially cooked? At first I thought they were literally dry in a jar. Do they get softer with time after you’ve canned them?

46. if you like beans this much just grow them by the ton, costs about nothing and you don’t have to look for you favorite beans any longer! i think your stores soon will be short of everything so learn to grow… soon!

47. If I cooked the beans with jalapeños, onions, and spices to make refried beans. Would that change the time and pressure for pressure canning them? I have never used a pressure canner before, but am wanting to….although, a bit nervous!

48. Connie Smith says:

Just a few comments to some of the questions I’ve seen here.

1. Dry Beans ( cooked, partially cooked or dry-dry) absolutely MUST BE processed in a PRESSURE CANNER.
    2. No matter what recipe you’re using; they MUST BE pressure canned for the full 90 minutes.
    3. Water bathing beans is NOT SAFE…PERIOD. Neither is “steam canning” or “Oven-canning”. DON”T take a chance on killing your family !
    4. Personally I wait to add salt until I open the jars to make dinner.

I’ve always canned my beans dry, washed but not soaked, using the ham broth made from the ham bones and trimmings; but I add a ham and skin chunk to each jar, and 1 1/2 cups of dry, washed beans.

49. I have just put my first “canner of pinto beans on the stove. Am trying the method of not cooking before hand. Our elevation is about 4300 feet and I usually pressure at 15 pounds for 40 minutes for a meal of beans. Am excited about this first experiment into canning dry beans. I have been using pressure canners and pressure cookers all my life. (I am 73) Don’t fear them. Just use wisdom and you will love them.

50. rose Marie says:

I use 3/4 cup of dry beans per quart jar. Just use clean jars. Add dry beans and fill with water to the top. Let soak over night. I drain an refill jars with clean water. Then process. This way there is more gravy with the beans. You can also put dried beans in a jar fill with water and process. But there is no gravy in the jar.

51. Madamspinner says:

MEGW.: Yes, I did neglect to say I only can dry beans in QUART jars. Sorry. To me, it just doesn’t make any sense to use pint jars for these. ;-)

52. Thank you so much for the information here. I have been wanting to can my own beans forever. I did kidney beans and they turned out wonderful! I eat them a lot on salads, so I threw in a tsp of celtic sea salt & the flavor was wonderful! Soooo much better than canned from the store!

Next I’m doing black beans and then will do a few pinto. This is a huge money saver and since I was able to use organic beans I’m getting a much better product for a fraction of the price.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

53. Just my two scents on the soft beans… I actually like my beans to be really really soft – So much so that the beans contribute to the soup to make it thicker. I pour two cups dry beans (half northern white and half pinto) into my slow cooker before bed. Fill to the top with water and set on “low”. Next morning I drain off all the water and add fresh to the top. I add in about 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1 tablespoon garlic plus salt and pepper. Keep slow cooker on low all day – maybe 8 hours. Then, transfer to a heavy pot on the stovetop. I add 1/4 cup bacon grease and cook rapidly until the liquid decreases and thickens. Serve with cast iron fried cornbread and fried potatoes. Delish.

54. I love your encouragement to can beans. I ran out recently and really needed to get it done. And your right with the recent cold spells canning beans is lovely. Warms the house a bit to. :)

However, the reason I am writing the comment was in your recipe you say to bring the beans to a boil, but you do not say how long to boil them for. I look in my ball book and it said for 30 mins before processing them. I thought you might want to edit the recipe to include that detail.

Blessing during this lovely winter.

Siobhan

• I usually bring mine to a boil and then put them into the jars then. They cook the rest of the way during the canning process, and I think it helps them not to be quite a mushy. ;)

55. I have been canning beans with the waterbath method for years and have never had a problem with them. Soak them overnight rinse them 3 cups of beans to a jar no more cover with water add salt if desired (I usually don’t salt till I use them) Process them for 3 hours in a boiling water bath. They come out perfect. I never cook them before I can them and they are nice and firm.

56. Samantha says:

Is this pressure canner the same as a pressure cooker? Or is it specific for canning

57. First go at canning dry beans. Bad choice that we also decided to make Hamburger soup for the shop the same evening. So, also, having not read the instructions lately, vented the pressure cooker to get all 3 batches done. :-) I know, why would we push ourselves to make so much in one night. Not to mention the soup. Ok, 7 pounds of beans of various types. Some by themselves and mixed some. Processed them for the rec. time and vented, causing them to lose water past the seal. Do you think they will be fine or should we scrap the 20 jars we did and start over with more patience? They look OK, just that the water is low and it looks like a gel inside the jar. ( Soup turned out AWESOME!)

58. LOVE this post, Jill! Thank you so much for sharing! I am going to be sharing this via social media this week! Already pinned it. Yay! you are such a blessing! xo

59. Shanon says:

Your website was really helpful and I followed everything to the T. However, is it normal to have an inch of water boil out of the jars during the canning process? I started with an inch of space at the top and ended with over 2 inches of space in the jars. The beans were still covered with liquid, but it looks a little funny. Also only three out of 12 jars ended up sealing, so frustrating. Lastly, with the three jars that did seal, are they shelf worthy with that much water missing? I’m not giving up, but if you have some pointers that would be great!

• Shanon says:

I realized that one thing that I didn’t do exactly right was waiting for the pressure to go down on it’s own. After the cooking time, I let it sit for about 30 min and then got impatient to look at my work so I took off the weight and let the pressure escape quickly…do you think that caused most of my jars not to seal?

• Sometimes I lose liquid in mine too. However, if you had trouble with the rest of the batch sealing, it may have been because there wasn’t enough headspace. Sometimes that will result in the lids not sealing.

• My next batch went much smoother. I realized that by pulling off the weight before it had depressurized by itself had caused the liquid to boil out of the jars while depressurizing too fast. I also found that I had the lids on the the first batch too loose so the screw part was a little bit above the glass rim, so the bean liquid got between the seal and the screw part of the lid, dried, and then glued the seal part of the lid to the screw part and kept it up off the glass rim at the time it would have sealed. *Eyeroll* Did you follow that? :) Anyway, I figured some stuff out and have had better success since. THANK YOU!

60. My daughter and I are going to spend several hours tomorrow canning black and pinto beans. THANKS for posting these directions. In your original recipe you say to process quarts for 30 min, but several of the comments say it has to be 90 min. Which is correct?