Today I’m talking to 67-year-old Cheri, who is running a 20-acre homestead, complete with milk cows, goats, sheep, chickens, gardens and more. And she’s doing it alone.
Cheri breaks down encouraging tips explaining how anyone can do this.
I think you’ll love this episode. And I’m pretty sure I want to be Cheri when I grow up.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Cheri’s background and interest in homesteading
- When did life shift to homesteading alone?
- Finding new property and moving (how it worked for Cheri)
- How did you start learning how to do ALL the homesteading skills?
- What made you decide to keep doing it all, even though now alone?
- Describing the homestead (livestock, acres, gardens, etc.)
- How do you do all of the chores?
- Do you work outside the homestead?
- What happens when you have to do something on the homestead that’s over-your-head?
- How (and when) to lean on family, neighbors, and the community
- What is the most challenging parts of homesteading alone?
- Why bartering is important for homesteaders
- How to overcome feelings of loneliness
- Growing food: are you growing too much, do you scale back, etc.
- Raising dairy: what do you do with all of the milk?
- “Can’t do” vs. “Won’t do” on the homestead
- Final advice for homesteading alone…
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Ready to join the newsletter for mavericks who value free-thinking, ditching the status quo, and taking charge of every part of our lives? Click now! https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/freethinker
Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
Head to http://prairieplanner.com/ to get your 2022 Prairie Planner today!
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger
More Unconventional Homesteading Tips:
- Homesteading with Littles: Strategies from a Experienced Mama (podcast episode)
- On Homesteading in the Desert (podcast episode)
- Homesteading During the Golden Years: Is it Possible? (podcast episode)
- When Homesteading makes you lonely (blog article)