Do you have to have woodland to pasture pigs? What does it look like to raise pigs on the prairie? And can you really use lard on your face?
I’m joined by Charles Mayfield of Farrow Skincare for this enlightening podcast episode. My pastured-pork paradigm will never be the same!
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Background of Charles Mayfield and his passion for pigs
- How he started raising and selling pigs and pork
- Why pastured pork is better than conventional pork
- What is the ideal environment for raising pigs?
- How to properly fence in your pigs and how to train them with electric fence
- How to move around your pigs without issue (and when to move them)
- What types of food to feed (and what to avoid) to your pigs
- Balancing between forage and feed for your pigs…
- Tips for raising pigs anywhere (pasture, woods, prairie, etc.)
- Using Jill’s homestead as an example for raising pigs
- How to figure out how many pigs to get
- Best breeds of pigs for homesteads
- Addressing the modern trend towards hating pork
- The importance of properly curing your homestead pork
- Using lard as skincare
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Learn more about Charles Mayfield here: https://farrow.life/
Learn more about the Modern Homestead Conference here: https://modernhomesteading.com/
Have a message you want to share with the world? Apply to be a guest on the Old-Fashioned on Purpose podcast here: https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/podcast-guest-application
Weekly musings from my homestead: http://theprairiehomestead.com/letter
My essays on an old-fashioned life: www.prairiephilosophy.com
My homesteading tutorials & recipes: www.theprairiehomestead.com
Our Wyoming-raised, grass-finished beef: http://genuinebeefco.com
Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Jill on Instagram: @jill.winger
Jill on Facebook: http://facebook.com/theprairiehomestead