Today I’m geeking out over wheat berries. Yeah, it’s no wonder I don’t have a lot of non-homesteading friends, I guess I seem kinda weird to some…
But fresh flour is something worth geeking out over! Join me in this podcast episode to find out why.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Back story on my whole wheat journey
- Weston A. Price, Sally Fallon, and other influences
- The results from my early days
- Mastering sourdough and unbleached organic white flour and getting bored….
- Wanting to get better at baking and using local grains
- A closer look at the books I’ve been reading to improving my baking skills
- What I learned about the history of bread (and the change in nutrition over time)
- Tips for transitioning to whole grain breads and baking
- Final thoughts on my whole wheat flour journey…
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Book resources on fresh flour:
What Your Food Ate by David Montgomery and Anne Bikle,
Flour Lab by Adam Leonti,
Sourdough by Science by Karyn Lynn Newman,
Bittman Bread by Mark Bittman and Kerri Conan,
Artisan Sourdough Made Simple by Emilie Raffa
Find all my favorite books on my bookshelf here: https://bookshop.org/shop/theprairiehomestead
Subscribe here for more thoughts on this and more:
Be sure to check out Toups & Co, a small homestead family that makes amazing skin products from natural ingredients. Go to ThePrairieHomestead.com/makeup and save 15% with code HOMESTEAD.
Weekly musings from my homestead: http://theprairiehomestead.com/letter
More Tips & Resources on Flour & Grains:
- Ancient Grains: Your New Best Friend in the Kitchen (podcast episode)
- Solving Sourdough: The Science Behind What Works (podcast episode)
- Flour Shortages, Grain Mills, & Whole Wheat (podcast episode)
- How To Use Einkorn Flour (article and podcast episode)
- My 5 Favorite Ways to Use Sourdough Discard (article and podcast episode)