For many of us accustomed to the standard American way of food preservation, fermentation can be a strange topic to broach. Although it’s a subject I’ve discussed before on this podcast, given the focus of this season I thought it’d be great to bring in a true expert. Today we’re joined by my good friend, author and fermentation guru Wardee Harmon.
In this podcast episode, we cover why fermentation is best for preserving nutrients, the benefits of probiotics, what to use for starter cultures, how to prevent cross-contamination, how to differentiate foam from mold, and much, much more. Wardee literally wrote the book on fermenting so you’ll want to bring a pen and notebook to today’s podcast. Be sure to listen to this episode all the way through as Wardee offers some incredible resources at the end.
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Ready to dive deeper into the world of fermentation? Be sure to check out all of the links below that Wardee mentioned on the podcast!
– Bible-Based Cooking Program: https://traditionalcookingschool.com/7rv0
– New book “Fermenting” (releases Aug 3)
– Apple Chutney Recipe: https://traditionalcookingschool.com/celebrations/5-spice-apple-chutney/
This episode is brought to you by Redmond’s Real Salt, which is the #1 salt I use in all my homesteading cooking, canning, and fermentation. I have learned over the years that not all salt is created equal and having the good stuff really does make a difference in your culinary adventures. Redmond’s is the only salt mined in the good ol’ US of A. I love that it’s mined using sustainable practices AND contains 60+ trace minerals that not only make it incredibly good for you, but it tastes better too. Since I can’t grow salt myself (obviously) Right now, Redmond’s is offering 15% off your entire order just for my podcast listeners. Head over to theprairiehomestead.com/SALT and use the code HOMESTEAD to snag your discount.
– Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
– Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
– Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, and tutorials and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
– Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
– Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
– Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/theprairiehomestead
More Fermenting Tips:
- How to Use a Crock for Fermenting (podcast episode)
- Curious about Fermentation? This One’s for You (podcast episode)
- Homemade Kraut & Fizzy Pickles: How to Make Your Own Probiotics (podcast episode)
- Homemade Fermented Ketchup Recipe (blog article)