Podcast: Play in new window | Download
It’s that time again my friends. We’ve reached the end of another season. As I reflected on the different methods of food preservation we’ve covered over the past several weeks, I came to a surprising realization. There was one common thread between every preservation method. Can you guess what it is? Yes, that’s right! Salt is the one constant for all your preservation needs.
In this podcast episode, I cover the different types of salts, why salt can turn your food colors, and how the coarseness of the salt effects overall taste. I also share my favorite salt I literally use on everything. As this season comes to a close, this is a great time to talk about this wonderful ingredient that ties everything together.
– Since salt is obviously one thing I can’t grow here on my Wyoming homestead, I always buy Redmonds in bulk. It never goes bad and I keep it in a bucket in my basement pantry. I have this bag (https://shop.redmond.life/products/real-salt-bulk-25-lb?_pos=3&_sid=68645354b&_ss=r) in there right now. Here’s a blog post I wrote last year with more salt FAQS! https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2020/06/cooking-with-salt.html
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
– This episode is brought to you by Redmond’s Real Salt, which is the #1 salt I use in all my homesteading cooking, canning, and fermentation. I have learned over the years that not all salt is created equal and having the good stuff really does make a difference in your culinary adventures. Redmond’s is the only salt mined in the good ol’ US of A. I love that it’s mined using sustainable practices AND contains 60+ trace minerals that not only make it incredibly good for you, but it tastes better too. Since I can’t grow salt myself (obviously) Right now, Redmond’s is offering 15% off your entire order just for my podcast listeners. Head over to theprairiehomestead.com/SALT and use the code HOMESTEAD to snag your discount.
– Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
– Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
– Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, and tutorials and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
– Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
– Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
– Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger
More Heritage Kitchen Tips:
- Demystifying Grocery Ingredients (podcast episode)
- Solving Sourdough: The Science Behind What Works (podcast episode)
- Magical Animal Fats: Learn About Lard and Tallow (podcast episode)
- Wheat Berries and Grinding Your Own Flour (blog article)