For most of us gardener’s around the country, we’re currently sitting in that honeymoon phase. It’s that time where everything is starting to grow and looking beautiful, but nothing is ready to harvest. However, before we know it the time will be upon us. In this season of the Old Fashioned on Purpose podcast, I’m going to make sure you are able to maximize your bounty while discussing one of my favorite topics in the world; food preservation.
In this podcast episode, I’m thrilled to be joined by an expert in colonial food preservation methods, my good friend Jonathan Townsend. In this episode Jonathan discusses a wide range of techniques including many you’ll already be familiar with, but he also dives into some very interesting methods like potted meats and smoking. Tune in to find out how you can integrate some of these colonial practices into your modern homestead in order to enhance your preservation methods and better prepare yourself for those long winter months.
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
– This episode is brought to you by Redmond’s Real Salt, which is the #1 salt I use in all my homesteading cooking, canning, and fermentation. I have learned over the years that not all salt is created equal and having the good stuff really does make a difference in your culinary adventures. Redmond’s is the only salt mined in the good ol’ US of A. I love that it’s mined using sustainable practices AND contains 60+ trace minerals that not only make it incredibly good for you, but it tastes better too. Since I can’t grow salt myself (obviously) Right now, Redmond’s is offering 15% off your entire order just for my podcast listeners. Head over to theprairiehomestead.com/SALT and use the code HOMESTEAD to snag your discount.
– Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
– Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
– Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, and tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
– Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
– Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
– Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/theprairiehomestead
More Preservation Tips:
- Sorting Through SALT: How to Pick the Right Salt for Your Preservation Projects (podcast episode)
- How to Preserve Fresh Herbs for Later (podcast episode)
- The Homesteader’s Guide to Preserving Meat (podcast episode)
- My Favorite Ways to Preserve the Harvest (blog article)