Growing up, dandelions were always the enemy…
I remember my Dad devoting hours each summer to vigorously spraying them when they would pop up in the yard.
I also remember how annoyed I was during the first spring after we purchased our homestead when I realized the little yellow buggers were ALL OVER the yard and pastures.
My oh my… how times have changed.
Since my Lamb’s Quarter revelation several years ago, I tend to wholeheartedly agree with Ralph Waldo Emerson’s perspective on weeds:
“What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.”
So, since changing my mindset a bit, I now get giddy when I see the little yellow blossoms pop up all over my yard. Not only are dandelions very edible, but they are also incredibly nutritious.
**My one caveat about dandelion recipes is this: if you do plan to harvest dandelions, be very certain that they have NOT been sprayed with any sort of chemical or herbicide. I don’t have to worry about that out here on our homestead, but would definitely think twice before foraging handfuls from your local park or neighbor’s yard.
16 Dandelion Recipes
1. Dandelion Root Coffee— I’m dying to try this! Although I will admit, my hubby is a bit skeptical. 😉
2. How to Cook Fresh Dandelion Roots— Cook ’em up and eat ’em like carrots.
3. Dandelion Root Herbal Tea— Roast the roots first to add greater depth of flavor
4. Dandelion Root Tincture– “Dandelion has been used historically to detoxify the kidneys and liver, reduce swelling, fight skin problems, alleviate digestive discomfort, fight fever, improve vision problems, and prevent diabetes…”
5. How to Harvest and Preserve Dandelion Roots for Later— Use your dehydrator to enjoy the benefits of dandelions all year long.
6. Dandelion Greens with Double Garlic— If it has garlic, you just can’t go wrong.
7. Wild Spring Green Pizza— Is this gorgeous or what?!
8. Creamy Quesadillas with Fresh Greens— Make these kid-friendly quesadillas with your favorite foraged, edible green.
9. Dandelion Greens Salad— Mix dandelion greens in with other spring greens for a nutritious salad twist.
10. Dandelion Green and Red Potato Salad— A lovely side dish for a springtime meal
11. Dandelion Pumpkin Seed Pesto— Use those greens as a basil substitute in this unique pesto twist.
12. Wilted Dandelion Greens with Toasted Mustard— An elegant side dish from Nourished Kitchen.
13. Dandelion Wine Recipe— “Dandelion flower wine was considered so therapeutic to the kidneys and digestive system that it was deemed medicinal even for the ladies…”
14. Dandelion Syrup Recipe— Move over maple! There’s a new syrup in town.
15. Dandelion Blossom Cookies Recipe— I bet your kids won’t be able to figure out the “surprise ingredient”…
16. Dandelion Jelly Recipe— And you can preserve it to enjoy for later too!
17. Fried Dandelion Recipe— Breaded dandelions? Who woulda thought?!
Can't Get Enough Homesteading Goodness?
Join over 75,000 others who get the weekly Homestead Toolbox delivered fresh to their inbox. It's packed full of recipes, ideas, and homesteading tips you can actually use (no fluff), plus a copy of my very popular mulch gardening how-to guide.