Guess what I’m doing at 9:00 on a Sunday night?
If you guessed making peanut butter, then you’d be right. (That’s what we do for a good time out here on the prairie. We’re wild like that…)
Peanut butter can actually be a very healthy food. That is, when it’s made with healthy fats and no refined sugars. Unfortunately, your typical-everyday-choosy-moms-choose-it brand of peanut butter is seriously lacking in that department. I have a jar of that certain brand of peanut butter sitting before me as we speak. The ingredients are:
Roasted peanuts (no problems there), sugar (eh, not great, but ok), molasses (ok), fully hydrogenated rapeseed and soybean oils (Yikes!), mono and digyclerides (don’t know what these are, but they don’t sound good), and salt.
Since I discovered Azure Standard, I don’t make homemade peanut butter as much as I used to. (I can get big buckets of natural peanut butter that lasts me a long time.) However, knowing how to make your own homemade nut butters is a delicious skill to have.
Homemade Peanut Butter
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups peanuts. (I used roasted and salted- see note below)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil (you may need slightly more or less)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (optional)
- Salt to taste (if you are using salted peanuts, you probably won’t need to add any extra salt.)
- You could totally start out with raw peanuts and roast them yourself. Here’s a tutorial.
- A lot of folks make peanut butter without adding any extra oil. Depending on how fresh your peanuts are, this may work for you– but you’ll need to process the nuts for a while longer to make this work.
- Don’t like peanuts? No problem! Use this same technique to create other nut butters instead. (Almonds, cashews, etc)
- You will need to store your homemade peanut butter in the fridge, since it’s not hydrogenated like the store-bought stuff. It won’t last for years on the shelf like the commercial peanut butters do, but I doubt it will have a chance to be around for that long anyway.
- This should last a week or two in the fridge, if not longer.
You may also like -