As a rule, Wyoming is generally a pretty dry place…
But since we’ve been in this drought, it’s been even worse.
I’ve really struggled with dry skin this winter– even though I’ve been drinking tons of water (getting this glass water bottle for Christmas helped a LOT!) and eating pretty healthfully.
And the only thing worse than dry skin, is dry skin that is annoyingly itchy. Ugh.
Thankfully, I’ve found some relief with a simple, homemade remedy. And of course, this little solution is greatly enhanced by the addition of my doTERRA essential oils. (But I bet you aren’t surprised, huh? I do believe I’ll have to dub the last few months as the Winter of The Oils…)
The sugar in this scrub gently exfoliates the skin, the cooling sensation of the peppermint oil helps to soothe itchiness, and the oil moisturizes. Plus, the citrus/peppermint combo is totally invigorating– it will definitely wake you up first thing in the morning!
This simple homemade scrub is fabulous for gifts as well. I gave away several jars this past year as Christmas presents, but it would also be a decadent gift for Valentine’s Day. (Or Mother’s Day, or a birthday, or a new mama gift…)
If you don’t care for peppermint or citrus scents, there is a list of alternative oil options at the bottom of the recipe. The sky is the limit with this one!
Peppermint Citrus Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup granulated white sugar (I prefer using alternative sweeteners, like sucanat, in my cooking. However, since I won’t be eating this, I don’t mind using the cheap, white stuff.)
- 1/4-1/3 cup oil of your choice: coconut oil (see note below), olive oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, avocado oil, or a combination of these
- 2-4 Tablespoons orange or grapefruit zest (optional- adds an extra bit of exfoliation)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable glycerin (optional- adds extra moisturizing properties)
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10-15 drops wild orange essential oil (lemon or grapefruit will also work- or any combination of these)
Mix sugar, oil, zest, and vegetable glycerin (if using) together. Depending on what type of oil you use, you may need to add more or less to get the proper consistency. You are looking for enough oil to make the sugar stick together, but not so much that it is floating on top.
Gradually add in the essential oils until you’ve reached the desired scent. It may take more or less, depending on the type of oils you use.
Store your sugar scrub in a glass container (check thrift shops for cute glass bottles, or use canning jars). If giving it as a gift, decorate with ribbon, stickers, or scrapbook paper.
To Use: Rub a small amount of the scrub on your hands or body, rinse with warm water.
- I love and use doTERRA essential oils exclusively. You can purchase these oils through my website– or email me to find out how to become a consultant with a wholesale account. Check out my essential oil page for more info– and subscribers get my essential oil eBook for free!
- Regular coconut oil is usually solid at room temperature, so you will need to gently melt it to mix it in with the sugar. If you’d prefer a liquid coconut oil, try some fractionated coconut oil instead.
- If you are using this scrub in the shower– be cautious with the glass container– you don’t want it to slip out of your hands and break.
- If you have sensitive skin, test a small bit of this scrub first before rubbing it all over. The peppermint oil might be considered “intense” for some, although it was just perfect for me.
Some other essential oil combinations:
- Rosemary and peppermint
- Citrus Explosion: Any combination of wild orange, lime, lemon, grapefruit, and/or bergamot oils– OR– doTERRA’s Citrus Bliss blend
- Lavender, lemon, and rosemary
- Cypress and white fir (a more manly option…)
- Lavender and the Balance blend (for relaxation)
- And that’s just the beginning– the possibilites really are endless…
Some other ways I use doTERRA essential oils:
P.S. Like what you read? Join over 37,000 other homesteaders and get farm-fresh inspiration from The Prairie Homestead delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up Now! (it's quick and easy--plus you'll NEVER get spam from us!)
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.