Peppermint Citrus Sugar Scrub
Instructions: Mix sugar, oil, zest, and vegetable glycerin (if using) together. Depending on what type of oil you use, you may need to add more or less to get the proper consistency. You are looking for enough oil to make the sugar stick together, but not so much that it is floating on top. Gradually add in the essential oils until you've reached the desired scent. It may take more or less, depending on the type of oils you use. Store your sugar scrub in a glass container (check thrift shops for cute glass bottles, or use canning jars). If giving it as a gift, decorate with ribbon, stickers, or scrapbook paper. To Use: Rub a small amount of the scrub on your hands or body, rinse with warm water.
- 1 cup granulated white sugar (I prefer using alternative sweeteners, like sucanat, in my cooking. However, since I won't be eating this, I don't mind using the cheap, white stuff.)
- 1/4-1/3 cup oil of your choice: coconut oil (see note below), olive oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, avocado oil, or a combination of these
- 2-4 Tablespoons orange or grapefruit zest (optional- adds an extra bit of exfoliation)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable glycerin (optional- adds extra moisturizing properties)
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil (where to get my favorite essential oils)
- 10-15 drops wild orange essential oil (or lemon or grapefruit oil will work, too)
- Regular coconut oil is usually solid at room temperature, so you will need to gently melt it to mix it in with the sugar. If you'd prefer a liquid coconut oil, try some fractionated coconut oil instead.
- If you are using this scrub in the shower-- be cautious with the glass container-- you don't want it to slip out of your hands and break.
- If you have sensitive skin, test a small bit of this scrub first before rubbing it all over. The peppermint oil might be considered "intense" for some, although it was just perfect for me.
Some other essential oil combinations:
- Rosemary and peppermint
- Citrus Explosion: Any combination of wild orange, lime, lemon, and/or grapefruit oils
- Lavender, lemon, and rosemary
- Cypress and white fir (a more manly option...)
- Lavender and cedar wood (for relaxation)
- And that's just the beginning-- the possibilites really are endless...
- 1 cup granulated white sugar (or sucanat)
- ¼-1/3 cup oil: coconut oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, avocado oil, or a combination
- Optional: 2-4 Tablespoons orange or grapefruit zest (for extra exfoliation)
- Optional: 2 Tablespoons vegetable glycerin (extra moisturizing) (like this)
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10-15 drops wild orange essential oil (lemon or grapefruit will also work- or any combination of these)
- Mix sugar, oil, zest, and vegetable glycerin (if using) together
- Depending on what type of oil you use, add more or less to make the sugar stick together, but not enough to float on top
- Gradually add essential oils until you’ve reached the desired scent
- Store your sugar scrub in a glass container and feel free to decorate with ribbon, stickers, etc
- To Use: Rub a small amount on hands or body and rinse with warm water
Can’t Get Enough Homesteading Goodness?
Join over 75,000 others who get the weekly Homestead Toolbox delivered fresh to their inbox. It’s packed full of recipes, ideas, and homesteading tips you can actually use (no fluff), plus a copy of my very popular mulch gardening how-to guide.