Our Most Favorite Pizza Crust. Ever.

homemade pizza crust recipe

Friday night is usually pizza night at our house.

I struggled with finding a crust recipe that I really liked for several years, until I stumbled across this one. We like this recipe so much, that I don’t even really miss restaurant pizza at all.

And, this soft, chewy crust makes a great go-to meal for guests, especially when you live 40 miles from town and find out on short notice that company is comin’ over…

I make this with a variety of flours- sometimes unbleached all-purpose, sometimes hard white/red whole wheat, and sometimes a mixture of both. I’m sure you could experiment with souring or soaking this recipe, but I have not. After an attempt to make this with sprouted flour that ended up being a d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r, hubby made me promise to leave this recipe just the way it is!

(Pssst- Wanna know the secret to perfect homemade pizza? Get a pizza stone! Seriously, this has made all the difference in the world for us. They aren’t that expensive, and even though I like to keep my kitchen gadgets simplified, I wouldn’t be without my stone. (I have one similiar to this) Try it once and you’ll never go back to a cookie sheet…)

homemade pizza crust

Our Most Favorite Pizza Crust

Yield: One 12″-13″ round pizza

• 1 cup warm water
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
  • 2 Tablespoon Sucanat (or granulated sweetener of your choice)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 Tablespoon dry active yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon each of basil, oregano, and garlic powder (optional, but make for an even more flavorful crust)
  • 2 3/4 cups flour (see note above. If using 100% whole wheat, try adding a pinch of citric acid and/or ginger to help soften the dough, per Tammy’s Recipes)
  • Tomato sauce, shredded cheese, and toppings of your choice.

how to make pizza crust

In a mixing bowl, combine the oil, sucanat, salt, seasonings, and yeast. Add warm water all at once and stir thoroughly to dissolve. Gradually add the flour until you have a workable, but not dry, dough. Take care if using 100% whole wheat flour not to add too much, as that will result in a dry crust.

Knead on a clean, floured surface for around 8 minutes.  Place back into the mixing bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until nearly doubled.

pizza crust recipe

Remove from bowl and press onto your pizza stone or baking sheet. Cover with desired toppings (our favorites are mozzarella cheese, antelope sausage, and mushrooms. Yum!).

pizza crust recipe

Bake a preheated 400 degree oven for 18-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is just starting to turn golden brown.

Our Most Favorite Pizza Crust. Ever.

• 1 cup warm water
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
  • 2 Tablespoon Sucanat (or granulated sweetener of your choice)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 Tablespoon dry active yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon each: basil, oregano, and garlic powder
  • 2 3/4 cups flour
  • Tomato sauce, shredded cheese, and toppings of your choice

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
  2. In a mixing bowl combine the oil, sucanat, salt, seasonings, and yeast
  3. Add warm water all at once and stir thoroughly to dissolve
  4. Gradually add the flour until you have a workable, but not dry, dough
  5. Knead on a clean, floured surface for around 8 minutes
  6. Place into mixing bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until nearly doubled
  7. Remove from bowl and press onto your pizza stone or baking sheet
  8. Cover with desired toppings (our favorites are mozzarella cheese, antelope sausage, and mushrooms)
  9. Bake 18-20 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is just starting to turn golden brown

Even though I’ve found many other pizza crust recipes throughout my travels online, I don’t even give them a second glance. This one has definitely earned it’s place in my kitchen!

This post contains affiliate links.

P.S. If you enjoyed this post, I'm betting you'll love getting The Prairie Homestead getting delivered to your inbox. Over 30,000 over homesteaders have already signed up!
Click here to join 'em.

The following two tabs change content below.

Jill Winger

Owner/Blogger at The Prairie Homestead
Hey! I'm Jill. I'm all about cooking from scratch, getting dirt under my fingernails, hoarding mason jars, and trying not to kill stuff in my garden. I firmly believe that anyone can be a homesteader. Stick around, and I'll show ya the ropes!

Comments

1. Sounds like you have a good recipe. Always use fresh ingredients and you can never go wrong! – Ken

2. Our pizza stone is indispensable since we don’t have a microwave the stone is used to heat up all sorts of leftovers and other things. Oh, and sometimes its even used for pizza! I have a recipe for pizza crust using honey from an old (late 1980s) Country Living magazine.

3. Carpe Diem- yes, they are awesome for so many other things too!

4. Thanks for the recipe, I’m always looking for a great pizza crust recipe. We too have pizza on Fridays, it’s our “family night” with pizza, popcorn and a movie.

5. We love pizza and I have been looking for a great pizza crust recipe. Thank you so much for sharing because I have never been very pleased with the others that I have used. Can’t wait to try this one.

6. Looks so yummy! We get take out but I want to start making our own. What kind of pizza stone do you have? When I looked for one there were so many different types I didn’t know what to choose.

7. This looks just like the pizza we make (http://homesteadingatredtailridge.blogspot.com/2011/03/pizza.html), but I will have to start using the pizza stone! The crust recipe is very similar.

8. I have looked for a great pizza crust for years. This sounds like a wonderful one to try. Thanks!

9. Jill, Looks great. We’re gonna try this. I just posted an entry about pizza today.

We’ve struggled finding a good crust recipe as well, but have loved the doughs from Trader Joes. Not sure if you have a store near you. Unfortunately we don’t anymore since moving.

Keep up the great work.
    Robert

• Hope you like it, Robert! I sure wish we had a Trader Joe’s here, but unfortunately, we don’t. :( The folks around here still think Walmart is the greatest thing since sliced bread… *sigh*

10. Angie H. says:

Wow! I tried this recipe the other night and it was delicious!!! I have tried a lot of pizza crust recipes, but this one tops them all. In fact my husband said it was the best pizza he had ever eaten. This is our new favorite!

11. I’ve made this dough a couple of times and love it–thanks for the recipe! I’ve actually only made it without the seasonings, but currently have a batch rising with the seasonings and am looking forward to trying it.

I have a question for you about storage–do you always make a batch up an hour or two before baking it? Or do you have suggestions for storing it for later use? FYI, I did successfully freeze a risen dough (after the one-hour rising time) for about a week, and it cooked up beautifully after defrosting about a week later. But if I make this in the AM for a dinner meal, would you recommend leaving it out on the counter covered with a dish towel, or refrigerating? What about for a dinner a couple of days later? Fridge or freezer? Love to make things from scratch but with twin two-year olds and one bun in the oven (about eight months along), I sometimes find it difficult to plan ahead to make this when a couple of mini pizzas would make a great, quick dinner. Thanks for any insight!

• Glad you like it! If I made this dough in the morning, I would definitely keep it in the fridge until dinner. Especially if my house was warm. As far as making it several days in advance, I think I might just freeze it, then leave it out on the counter to thaw all day for dinner that night.

12. Tom Wilkins says:

If you have a gas oven, I find it works great if you place the stone right on the bottom of the oven. It heats the professional ovens from my pizza chef days.

13. When you write a upper case T is that a tablespoonabd when you write a lower case t is that a teaspoon?

14. I have never tried to make homemade pizza dough, but have always wanted too, but have never seen a post where someone raved about how good theirs was. I love making homemade noodle and such, so Im gonna try this.. we LOVE..Love Love pizza around here and I usually buy the frozen kind ( i kno..gross)..but Im given this a whirl..Thanks for the post and for sharing the recipe !!

• Hope you like it Carrie! Yes, we really, really like this recipe- I searched for a long time, but after finding this recipe, I’ve stopped looking entirely. ;)

15. I have made homemade pizza before for our youth minister and his family. But it has been awhile since I have made any and a house move in there as well. So I didn’t have a clue where my recipe was. And I was reminded the other day by the youth minister that it has been awhile since I have fixed any homemade pizza. So I remembered that you had your recipe on here. I pulled it up and away to work I went! I have to say thank you very much! It turned out wonderful. It was really easy to work with and the flavor and texture was perfect. I wish I knew how to download a picture to here so you could see. Anyway it was a huge hit so thank you for sharing. I am so thankful to have found your site it has been such blessing in so many ways! Thank you again :)

• Wahoo! SO happy that you liked the recipe! We sure do. :) Glad that you’ve found the blog helpful!

16. Thank you for this recipe! I made a couple of pizza’s today using my 2 new pizza stones and they came out great!

17. I tried your pizza dough recipe today, and we agree with your family that it is the best! I’m tossing my old, boring recipe. I cant wait for my fresh herbs to be grown to add instead of dried. Thanks for sharing, and thank you for your blog. I find it extremely helpful!

18. any chance you know what flour I can substitute to make this gluten free?

19. Megan K says:

Have you ever made this recipe into something else? Breadsticks? or…?

20. Thank you for this recipe! I have had a pizza stone for a year and have tried various soaked and sourdough recipes using freshly ground while wheat, spelt, kamut, etc. They come out flat and doughy every time. I came across this recipe and was still hoping to make another attempt at a sourdough crust when my husband threatened that this was my last chance to try making homemade pizza or he’d go on strike! LOL. So rather than brave sourdough again, I put my trust in your recipe, and while not the same as his favorite, Papa John’s, my husband said I am allowed to make this again! So you saved homemade pizza night in this house – thank you!

• Wahoo! SO happy you liked it! Yes, my hubby put a stop to my *a-hem* inventive pizza crust recipes, too. ;) This one is definitely a stand-by, although not quite like Papa Johns… I really want to try to recreate their garlic butter sauce, though…. ;)

• I think it’s a great recipe. I wish it were soaked, sprouted, or sourdough for health reasons, but I just can’t perfect any of those at this point. Papa John’s tastes so good, but it gives me serious heartburn/indigestion. Don’t tell Sally Fallon, but I ate this pizza with no tummy ache, and I know it’s far healthier than Papa John’s! I still try to soak/sprout/sour where I can, but for now, this is a worthy compromise. Oh, and I bet homemade butter garlic sauce would blow Papa John’s away – they don’t even use real butter in their sauce (it’s made with vegetable oil – yuck!).

21. I LOVE this recipe! Thank you so much!!!

22. Hi what is sucanat?

• Hi Marcy,
      Sucanat stands for Sugar Cane Natural. It’s an unrefined, granulated sugar made directly from sugar cane. It has much more of a molasses flavor, but is definitely a better option the regular white sugar.

23. I just have to say this pizza crust was amazing!! Thank you!

24. hi jill,
    was thinking of trying out this recipe but just needed to confirm, is the flour 2 & 3/4 cups?
    or is it 2 (3/4 cups) which means 1.5cups?
    sorry to sound confused but just had to make sure instead of messing up your recipe.
    thanks, rakhi

25. We tried this tonight with all whole wheat and it was fabulous, so soft! We did throw in a bit of ginger to help soften it up and used only 2 cups of whole wheat flour. We topped ours with lots of kale, which crisped up perfectly.

26. Where did you get this recipe? Because I was wondering what the nutrition facts are, or did you put them and I just missed them? :-P Anyway, I’ve made this recipe about three times and i LOVE it! Especially because my mom has celiac disease and I can make it gluten free by using corn flour, rather than paying an arm and a leg for already made gluten free pizzas. :-)

27. OOH! This looks very good and a bit different from how I do it! PINNING!~ :-)

28. This is the BEST pizza dough recipe I have found! I use half white ap flour half wheat. I also add a t of wheat gluten and a T extra water. Yum!

29. Danielle says:

This recipe is delicious! My family loves it and I will never have to hubt for a recipe again!
    Instead of a pizza stone, you can use a cast iron skillet to make it deep dish. So very scrumptious. The only way to make a deep dish pizza in my opinion.

30. Hi Jill, I’m going to try making your pizza dough this week-end. Two questions…I make pizza dough quite often, Bobby Flay recipe which is good but I feel it could be better and I use a pizza stone but usually heat the pizza stone up in the oven when I’m preheating and make the pizza on parchment paper and then transfer it to the pizza stone with my wooden pizza paddle which works good but it would be nice to make it right on top of the pizza stone instead. I just thought the stone had to be hot. Also, I usually use bread flour which is what a lot of pizza doughs call for. Have not tried the wheat flour. Excited to try your recipe, thank you. Janette

31. Season says:

Hi Jill, I love your site. I love to make homemade pizza and just recently bought a pizza stone from looking at your website. My question is how do you cook homemade pizza on the stone? When I first used mine I put my homemade crust directly on the cold pizza stone then put it in the oven and baked. Well the pizza was totally stuck to the stone when I took it out. Do you need to preheat the stone and then the crust won’t stick or how do you get it not to stick? Thanks so much

32. I can’t wait to try this! My husband and I moved from Northern Virginia/DC to Utah a little more than a year ago and we really really REALLY miss east coast pizza. I have not been able to get the hang of baking at this altitude so I have fingers crossed this works…thanks for sharing.

33. I’m excited to try this crust! Do you have a link for your tomato sauce on the blog? Would love to try a new recipe! Thanks!

34. Was actually looking for a good beef broth and found your website :) Made french onion soup with “canned” beef broth and it was…well, ok but was missing that “rich” beef flavor. Am definately going to try your recipe…So, that brings me to your Pizza Crust and I’m going to definately try it. Believe it or not if I had pizza once a year it was enough for me…I know, I’m odd but, my boyfriend loves pizza, of course and I came across a crust recipe that was pretty easy and now we’re probably having pizza at least 2-3 times a month. Already had a pizza stone that I purchased from “Magic Chef” years ago but since making pizza’s have purchased 2 more…one rectangler and a larger round, also have the pizza peel which makes it alot easier as well. Like I said, am going to try your crust…looks like a keeper. Think the one thing I like about “Homemade” anything is…You know what’s in it and it’s all fresh ingredients. Thanks for your posts! Cindy

35. Christina says:

Have you froze this pizza with toppings for quick dinners ever?

• No I haven’t– sorry! Good idea tho.

• Christina says:

I froze the dough without toppings and turned out good, would have been better if I could have used my some but it was wet. I think it would be fine with toppings. Frozen homemade pizza is one of the easiest quick meals to make. And who doesn’t like pizza. Thank you for am awesome recipe.

36. Hi Jill – just discovered your blog. Thanks for what you do. I’ve a question about your pizza stone. We have one that we use for cookies and such (and for reheating pizza) but we’ve never done pizza outright (though we just started milling our own flour and such and plan to soon). I was curious if you’d ever tried building the pie on a pizza peel and then transferring it to a preheated stone. I have it in my head that it would do a lot to serve as a “quasi brick pizza oven” type thing. From what I understand, the baking stones help pull some of the moisture out of the dough (which makes it crispy and crunchy on the outside and still chewy on the inside) much like a brick pizza oven. Anyway – just curious as I notice that your recipe says to build on the cold stone itself. Again – thanks for what you do and God Bless!

• I don’t use a peel (just b/c I don’t have one) but it would definitely work for this recipe! And it’s slightly more authentic that way too. ;)

• TrappistBrother says:

I made your dough recipe last night – it was awesome and I will not be changing a thing. I did have one issue, though and I hope you can assist me in addressing it. I made the pizza directly on the stone as you suggested and when I pulled it out of the oven, it was stuck to the stone! How do you keep yours from sticking? I usually use a peel and cornmeal and transfer to the stone from there, but I did like the idea of shaping the pizza right on the stone…. If only it wouldn’t stick!

37. Jill,

Have you found a great pizza sauce recipe? I usually use canned spaghetti sauce (cheapest), but recently found a deal on pizza sauce and the pizza is so much better with the pizza sauce. But, I’ve tried several homemade recipes and they’re not as good. Any ideas? Thanks!

• I don’t really have a recipe–I just end up canning my own sauce every summer and throwing in a lot of basil, oregano, and garlic. ;)

• How can you can without a recipe??? The canning books (Ball blue book, etc) always warn about following recipes exactly. Makes it sound like we’ll die if we don’t do it their way. I know, however, that food poisoning is a real danger. Do you just always use a pressure canner instead?

38. Helpful hint: put a cup of water in the microwave till hot, then when you are ready to let the dough rise put in the microwave close the door and wait one hour. Comes out perfect every time.

39. Nancy Bledsoe says:

I am going to try this recipe…probably tomorrow.
    I use a Pampered Chief stone. Seldom take it out of the
    oven. I heat the stone to 475, put the crust and pizza on parchment and
    slide it on to the hot stone with a peel. If I am making a BIG pizza, I put the
    parchment on a rimless cookie sheet and slide it on the stone.

40. Can regular sugar be used as the “sweetener” if that’s all you have at the time? Thanks

41. I will try this recipe, but I feel I need to point out your procedure violates a principal rule of dough making. Never, I’ll say that again: never, dissolve the salt with the yeast.

The way you’re supposed to do this is mix the oil with the flour in a bowl. Seperately, dissolve the yeast and the sugar/sweetener in the water. In your bowl of flour, dig a hole in the middle and sprinkle the salt on the flour around the outside. Then add the dissolved yeast and start mixing your dough. That way more of the yeast survives and your dough rises quicker.

42. I am going to try this.. Do you have a favorite pizza sauce that you use?? Homemade or other?? Thanks..

43. This is amazing! I’ve tried so many pizza crusts & this is a winner. Just as good as the restaurants if not better and so much cheaper!!!!!

44. My whole family says THANK YOU. I’ve tried a lot of pizza dough recipes and this one is by far the best and is now going to be our go to recipe for pizza night. Thanks so much! AWESOME pizza reminiscent of pizzeria style pizza. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

45. Ashley says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I have tried several dough recipes over the years, but none have passed my husband’s taste test. This one is a keeper, though! It is a huge money save and much healthier than buying frozen or delivery pizza. I am interested in doubling or tripling the recipe so that I can freeze the dough. Have you ever done this? Would I freeze it as soon as I make it, then allow it to rise when I need it? Thanks again.

46. Stop wasting time scraping list, focus on building links!

47. Caroline says:

Another great recipe from Jill! I used 1 cup of whole wheat then gradually added part of another cup of all purpose. When it got very sticky/gluey, I stopped kneading it and let it rise. I wasn’t sure that it’d turn out, but after a quick trip to town, I came home to perfect dough just waiting to be rolled and topped! My daughter, who is not especially fond of my homemade versions, called it a “Success!”

I regularly use several of your recipes: granola, yogurt, tortillas, biscuits, gravy, peanut butter. Thank you for enriching our family’s meals–even my children who don’t know it yet!

• Caroline says:

Wait… add cheese sauce to that list. Just made it last night. WOW! Topped a baked yellow potato with it and spaghetti sauce with meat. Loved every bite! And bonus! Still have more cheese sauce leftover to eat by itse… with other stuff, of course!

48. Sally Inman says:

I love this crust & will keep using it. Not all Pizza Dough recipes are created equal. Haha.
    I also use the Pampered Chef stone & pizza & bread bake great on it.