Podcast: Play in new window | Download
In this podcast episode, I’m talking with Bob Osborne, columnist on CBC radio, a Canadian farmer with more than 40 years of experience with all things apples, and the author of a brand new book, Hardy Apples.
Bob and I chat about how to grow healthy apples (even in cold climates), talk about the Renaissance of apples, and discuss why there are thousands of different apples out there but only the standard five options available in the grocery store.
And we may wind up gushing a little over all things apple crisp and apple cider.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Bob’s background and interest in orchards and apple trees
- What is your climate like in Canada (for gardening purposes)?
- Is it possible to grow apples in Wyoming (or other cold garden zones)?
- Why both variety and root stock are both important
- Other important parts for growing apples in your area
- What parts of a climate are harder on apple tree health?
- Best places to buy apple trees
- Best varieties of hardy apple trees
- How to plant apple trees properly
- How many apple trees to plant per family and for pollination purposes?
- How long does it take to start getting apples from the tree?
- What type of maintenance is needed?
- History of apples
- A closer look at different varieties of apples
- Favorite ways to eat apples
- Yield numbers from mature apple trees
- Final advice for growing apples
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Find Bob’s book here: Hardy Apples (https://bookshop.org/a/5789/9780228103189)
Ready to join the newsletter for mavericks who value free-thinking, ditching the status quo, and taking charge of every part of our lives? Click now! https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/freethinker
Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
Head to http://prairieplanner.com/ to get your 2022 Prairie Planner today!
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger
More Unconventional Homesteading Tips:
- On Homesteading in the Desert (podcast episode)
- Homesteading During the Golden Years: Is it Possible? (podcast episode)
- Should You Move to Wyoming?? Consider this first… (podcast episode)
- Growing Oranges in a Greenhouse (youtube video)