A Skeptic’s Guide to Eating Offal
I have to confess. There I was, a homesteader who has been raising and butchering our meat for well over a decade, but I didn’t even know the proper way to pronounce “offal,” not alone how to process organ meats to make nutritional meals out of them.
And I didn’t know if I wanted to know.
Today I’m talking about the liver and the heart and lots of other good stuff with Ashleigh Vanhouten, the author of It Takes Guts and Carnivore-ish and the host of Muscle Maven Radio. Trust me, you’ll see offal in a whole new way (and know how to pronounce it).
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Why people should try offal products
- Beginner steps and tips for starting to get into offal products
- Why offal products fell out of popularity in America
- How meat is SUPPOSED to taste
- Where to get organ meats
- Using “Good, Better, Best” motto for Real Food
- It’s okay to feel squeamish at first, how to overcome that
- Why offal products are so good for you
- Women’s diets: plant-based vs. adding organ meats
- Figuring out what foods to eat: what’s REALLY good for you
- Finding and building confidence in figuring out what to eat
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Ready to join the newsletter for mavericks who value free-thinking, ditching the status quo, and taking charge of every part of our lives? Click now! https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/freethinker
Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
Head to http://prairieplanner.com/ to get your 2022 Prairie Planner today!
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger