While we’ve been discussing opting out of various systems throughout this entire season, most of our solutions have been to seek out things that aren’t necessarily mainstream.
However, there is one area of the food system that most of you have the opportunity to take ownership of in your own home. In this podcast episode, I’m joined by my friend Bailey Vantassel, a garden blogger and enthusiast from California.
Together we start at the beginning, discussing how to determine what crops are suitable for you climate, how to analyze and amend your soil, what plants that will thrive in the shade, and so much more. We also discuss what makes a hero veggie, and reveal the key secret to making any garden successful. What is it? You’ll have to listen to find out!
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Second wave of gardening right now
- Starting a garden: where should you start?
- How to create garden soil
- Garden berms 101
- No-till method tips
- Learning from intuition and experimenting
- Tips for a shady backyard
- Tips for overcoming overwhelm for switching from grocery-store veggies to growing your own
- A closer look at ‘hero veggies’
- Why vertical gardening is so awesome
- What was the initial push for “doing the hard thing”
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
This episode is proudly sponsored by my own company: Genuine Beef Co. (https://genuinebeefco.com/). This dream has been 4 years in the making, but we are finally shipping our Wyoming-raised beef nationwide! It’s grass fed AND grass-finished, dry-aged to perfection, and vacuum-sealed in a USDA facility. We have 90/10 ground beef, roasts, steaks, and a variety of bundles. Use code PODCAST for 10% off your order.
Want to connect further with Bailey? Head to the links below:
Connect with Bailey on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/baileyvantassel/
Ready to join the newsletter for mavericks who value free thinking, ditching the status quo, and taking charge of every part of our lives? Click now! https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/freethinker
- Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
- Head to http://prairieplanner.com/ to get your 2022 Prairie Planner today!
- Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
- Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, and tutorials and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
- Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
- Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
- Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
- Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger