Why do modern homes fail to capture our imagination like old houses do? How are fast food and “fast homes” related?
Master builder and craftsman, Brent Hull, joins me for this fantastic interview to discuss how we moved from beautiful, traditional homes into “instant houses” and how we can bring timeless style back into our spaces (and why it matters). You won’t want to miss this conversation!
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Brent’s background in building and craftsmanship
- When did our home-building ideas/vision/etc. shift into what we see in modern times?
- Why modern homes are so ugly compared to homes from the past…
- Responding to the idea that traditional homes don’t work or fit into our modern world…
- A closer look at sustainable materials for creating homes
- Tips for people searching for a home/property right now
- Suggestions for bringing character back into a home
- Advice for creating a good blending new-and-old kitchen
- Brent’s favorite style of home
- Final tips and thoughts about timeless homes
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Find Brent Hull here: https://hullworks.com/
Try FOR JARS lids: http://theprairiehomestead.com/forjars (use code PURPOSE10 for 10% off)
Learn more about my NEW book Old-Fashioned on Purpose (and how to get pre-order bonuses): http://oldfashionedbook.com/
Have a message you want to share with the world? Apply to be a guest on the Old-Fashioned on Purpose podcast here: https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/podcast-guest-application
Weekly musings from my homestead: http://theprairiehomestead.com/letter
My essays on an old-fashioned life: www.prairiephilosophy.com
My homesteading tutorials & recipes: www.theprairiehomestead.com
Our Wyoming-raised, grass-finished beef: http://genuinebeefco.com
Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Jill on Instagram: @jill.winger
Jill on Facebook: http://facebook.com/theprairiehomestead
More on Creating an Old-Fashioned Homestead & Home:
- Why We bought a 100 year old House in a Forgotten Little Town (podcast episode)
- The Un-Formula for a Sustainable Homestead (podcast episode)
- Love Your Place and It’ll Love You Back (podcast episode)
- The Story of Our Prairie House (blog article)