As homesteaders, it’s easy to get caught up in the idea of self-sufficiency. However, the practice of building community is one of the most old-fashioned skills we can cultivate.
In this podcast episode, I’m honored to be joined by Norm Van Eeden Petersman from Strong Towns, a nonprofit dedicated to building community. If you’re looking for a roadmap to reviving a town or bolstering other types of community, you will LOVE this episode.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Background behind Norm and also Strong Towns
- How did we get from community-focused towns to our modern towns?
- How can we transform to a community-focused town?
- What caused the desire for making things look the same (strip malls, etc.)
- A closer look at the struggles for making small and pretty towns
- Action items you can take if you want to build up your community and town
- What are the common things that you see in strong towns?
- Final thoughts
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Learn more about the Modern Homestead Conference here: https://modernhomesteading.com/
Learn more about Norm Van Eeden Petersman and Strong Towns here: https://www.strongtowns.org/
Are you ready to activate the Strong Towns movement where you live? Learn more here: https://www.strongtowns.org/local
- 4 Ways to get started building strong towns: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2017/9/7/6-ways-to-start-building-strong-towns
- Want to Build Community on Your Street? Just Hit ‘Print’: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2022/8/22/want-to-build-community-on-your-street-just-hit-print
- Can we please stop fighting about gardens? https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2022/3/14/can-we-please-stop-fighting-about-gardens
Weekly musings from my homestead: http://theprairiehomestead.com/letter
My essays on an old-fashioned life: www.prairiephilosophy.com
My homesteading tutorials & recipes: www.theprairiehomestead.com
Our Wyoming-raised, grass-finished beef: http://genuinebeefco.com
Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Jill on Instagram: @jill.winger
Jill on Facebook: http://facebook.com/theprairiehomestead