I’ve been sharing homesteading online since 2010, but lately, the online homestead world has started to feel different….
If you spend much time surfing Instagram, you might think you need a historic white farmhouse, period-appropriate clothing, and a magazine-worthy kitchen to live this old-fashioned life. But is the rise of “farmfluencing” actually hurting the movement?
How can we celebrate the beautiful while also embracing the ugly? We’re diving into this sticky topic on this podcast episode!
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Life updates (what I’ve been up to lately)…
- Looking at the homesteading movement
- Extreme #1: “The world is ending/out to get us…”
- Extreme #2: The rise of the ‘farmfluencer’…
- My advice for farmfluencers and other homesteading influencers
- Encouragement for new homesteaders
- Finding the balance between realistic/functional and visually aesthetic
- Looking deeper at WHY we’re drawn to homesteading and old-fashioned things…
- Focusing on the natural beauty of homesteading instead of staging things
- The answer lies between the two extremes
- Don’t lose sight about what REALLY matters…
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Be sure to check out Toups & Co, a small homestead family that makes amazing skin products from natural ingredients. Go to ThePrairieHomestead.com/makeup and save 15% with code HOMESTEAD
Weekly musings from my homestead: http://theprairiehomestead.com/letter
More Updates on My Life & Philosophical Thoughts:
- How I’ve Been Pruning My Life (podcast episode)
- My Biggest Challenge as a Homestead Mama Thus Far (podcast episode)
- My Relationship with Homesteading is Changing (podcast episode)
- Modern Homesteading Manifesto (blog article)