The topic of tanning hides seemed deeply overwhelming to me until today’s guest unveiled amazing hidden truths and tips that I think you too will find fascinating.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Background on Cher Reynan and how she started tanning
- Types of hides she tans in her business and workshops
- Is it overambitious to add tanning to our homesteading adventures?
- What tanning steps to start with as a beginner
- Types of tanning (traditional, commercial, etc.) and sourcing materials
- Walkthrough of the tanning process (small and large)
- A closer look at tanning racks and frames
- Types of tanning products
- Methods for de-hairing the tanned products
- Rawhide, leather, and other terms
- Biggest mistakes and issues that beginners run into
- Type of salt to use for tanning
- Where can we find hides for tanning?
- Final tips and thoughts
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Find Cher on instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/wildfibre.tannery/
Be sure to check out Toups & Co, a small homestead family that makes amazing skin products from natural ingredients. Go to ThePrairieHomestead.com/makeup and save 15% with code HOMESTEAD.
My (New) Old-School Blog: www.prairiephilosophy.com
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger