Podcast: Play in new window | Download
When it comes to preserving homestead staples, there is perhaps none more confusing than the egg. If you spend time researching some of the methods used in the past, you’re likely to question the validity and safety of the vast majority of them. Thankfully, today I’m joined by a true expert in egg preservation, Carolyn Thomas of Homesteading Family.
In this podcast episode, we cover everything including liming, water glassing, oiling, freeze-drying, freezing, and much more. We even discuss some out of the ordinary methods like salt curing egg yolks and freezing egg based recipes. Whether you produce eggs on your homestead or purchase them from another source, this episode is sure to provide a ton of value and insure that you’re able to preserve your eggs year round.
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Want to connect further with Carolyn? Check her out below:
Homesteading School: https://www.schooloftraditionalskills.com/
This episode is brought to you by Redmond’s Real Salt, which is the #1 salt I use in all my homesteading cooking, canning, and fermentation. I have learned over the years that not all salt is created equal and having the good stuff really does make a difference in your culinary adventures. Redmond’s is the only salt mined in the good ol’ US of A. I love that it’s mined using sustainable practices AND contains 60+ trace minerals that not only make it incredibly good for you, but it tastes better too. Since I can’t grow salt myself (obviously) Right now, Redmond’s is offering 15% off your entire order just for my podcast listeners. Head over to theprairiehomestead.com/SALT and use the code HOMESTEAD to snag your discount.
– Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
– Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
– Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, and tutorials and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
– Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
– Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
– Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/theprairiehomestead
More Egg Tips & Resources:
- What to do with an Excess of Eggs (podcast episode)
- Why Aren’t My Chickens Laying Eggs? (podcast episode)
- The Ultimate EGG Episode (podcast episode)
- Beginner’s Guide to Laying Hens (blog article)