With this podcast episode’s guest, Lisa Steele of Fresh Eggs Daily, we’re taking a deep dive into farm fresh eggs and talking about all the elephants in the coop, so to speak. We chat about salmonella. We discuss the flaws to the float test, what an egg’s bloom really is, what about fresh eggs bring out our angry side, Lisa’s favorite way to preserve eggs (and why she doesn’t do it often), the down side of refrigerated eggs, and lots more egg topics.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- Salmonella issues and eggs
- How long are grocery store eggs sitting on the shelf
- How to determine freshness with farm eggs
- Defining “the bloom” and the egg laying process
- Peeling hard boiled farm eggs (secrets and tips)
- Baking with room temperature eggs: is this necessary?
- Tips for scrambling eggs perfectly
- Favorite methods for preserving eggs
- Details on salt-cured eggs
- Favorite egg-laying chicken breeds
- Favorite savory dish for supper that uses lots of eggs
- Favorite sweet dish that uses lots of eggs
- Final tips and advice for folks drowning in eggs
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Find Lisa at Fresh Eggs Daily and under the same name on all social media platforms.
Be sure to grab Lisa’s new book, The Fresh Eggs Daily Cookbook: Over 100 Fabulous Recipes to Use Eggs in Unexpected Ways
Check out the other podcast episode that Lisa Steele and I did together here: The Truth About Chickens and the Garden Podcast Episode.
Ready to join the newsletter for mavericks who value free-thinking, ditching the status quo, and taking charge of every part of our lives? Click now! https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/freethinker
Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
Head to http://prairieplanner.com/ to get your 2022 Prairie Planner today!
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger