I just wanted to get that out in the open right now because it’s very, verrrry tempting.
OK, well technically you *could* eat this whipped body butter recipe, because the ingredients are perfectly safe, but it’ll taste kinda gross.
The Prairie Kids were circling me like sharks when I made this last week, and were utterly confused when I told them to rub it on their hands instead of licking the beaters… It’s hard having a DIY-crazed mother sometimes…
That being said, your skin will absolutely adore this simple whipped body butter made with natural, nourishing ingredients. It’s decadently moisturizing (without being greasy) and it smells like chocolate–need I say more??
It also makes a completely awesome homemade gift and everyone will think you are a DIY-genius–especially if you package it in a cute lil’ mason jar with a bow. (Just remind them not to eat it!)
Natural Whipped Body Butter Recipe Video
(Keep scrolling if you’re looking for printable directions and the full recipe!)
(this post contains affiliate links)
Whipped Body Butter Recipe
White Chocolate Body Butter Recipe:
- 1/4 cup shea butter (where to buy shea butter)
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter (where to buy cocoa butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup sweet almond oil (where to buy almond oil)
- 10-20 drops of essential oil (where to buy my fav essential oils)
Regular Body Butter Recipe:
(this version doesn’t smell like chocolate)
- 1/2 cup shea butter (where to buy)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (where to buy)
- 1/4 cup sweet almond oil (where to buy)
- 10-20 drops of essential oil (where to buy)
Instructions for both versions:
Combine all ingredients, except the essential oils, in a small pot or double boiler.
Gently melt and stir over medium-low heat until the mixture is liquid.
Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to partially set up. I’m horribly impatient, so I put mine in the freezer to speed the process. (And then promptly forgot and left it in there way to long… *a-hem*).
Once the mixture is partially set and opaque, add the essential oils of your choice, and whip with a hand mixer or stand mixer (my favorite stand mixer) until the body butter is fluffy and stiff peaks have formed. If I’ve let it cool long enough, mine usually whips up within one to two minutes.
The body butter in the photo is all ready to go– see how it holds its shape?
Spoon the finished body butter into a cute little jar. Apply as needed to dry skin anywhere on your body, or give it as a gift!
- It’s really important to allow the body butter to set up, otherwise it won’t whip. I’ve found it’s ready to whip when I can stick my finger in the middle and it will hold the indentation. However, if you accidentally forget about your body butter in the fridge or freezer and it gets too hard, all is not lost. Simply allow it to thaw at room temperature until it reaches the proper consistency.
- You can easily store your whipped body butter at room temperature. However, if your house is very warm, it may melt. But if this happens, you can simply re-whip and you’ll be good to go.
- Want unscented body butter? No problem! The essential oils are completely optional.
- My favorite essential oil for this recipe is peppermint–especially peppermint combined with the white chocolate body butter recipe… YUM.
- Other good essential oil options would be lavender, bergamot, frankincense, geranium, or wild orange. But the sky’s the limit! Here’s how I purchase essential oils for wholesale prices.
- Need other homemade gift ideas? I’ve got ya covered!
- ¼ cup shea butter
- ¼ cup cocoa butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup sweet almond oil
- 10-20 drops of essential oil
- Combine all ingredients, except the essential oils, in a small pot or double boiler.
- Gently melt and stir over medium-low heat until the mixture is liquid.
- Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to partially set up. (you can place in the fridge or freezer to speed this process)
- Once the mixture is partially set, add the essential oils of your choice, and whip with a hand mixer or stand mixer until the body butter is fluffy and stiff peaks have formed.
- Spoon into a jar and apply anywhere on the body. Or, gift as a gift!