It’s a fact of life on a homestead.
And poop brings flies. Lots of ‘em.
Back in the days before I got all crunchy, I used to use loads of chemical fly sprays on my horses… And even though I hadn’t fully “awakened” to the world of chemical-free living at that point, I remember it would still bother me when I could taste the fly spray in my mouth after dousing the horses…
I’ve seen questions about natural insect repellents buzzing all over Facebook lately (sorry, I couldn’t resist…), so I decided it was high-time to do a round-up of all the spectacular, all-natural bug sprays I’ve come across while blog-surfing.
Any of these ideas should work just fine for your homestead critters too, minus the cats. (Cats and essential oils generally don’t mix…) I regularly mix up natural sprays for my milk cow, horses, and goats, and they really seem appreciate it.
I’ve noticed that different bugs respond differently to fly spray recipes, so if you find that one isn’t working for you, give another one a try. But, with the treasure-trove of ideas below, you should be able to find something that will work where you live!
20+ Natural Insect Repellent Recipes
1. Natural Insect Repellent for Camping from Green Boot Living.
2. Bug-Be-Gone Balm from Smithspirations
3. Homemade Insect Repellent Spray from DIY Natural
4. Garden Pest Control Spray from Weed Em and Reap
5. Three-Ingredient Pest Deterrent (especially for mice and spiders) from Scratch Mommy
6. Citronella/Vinegar Spray- I used this a lot before I discovered the Terrashield blend. It’s effective, but if I were to make it again, I’d add in a wider variety of oils.
7. DIY Bug Repellent Oil from Growing Up Herbal
8. All Natural Homemade Insect Repellent from Thank Your Body
9. Healthy Bug Spray (That Really Works!) from Scratch Mommy
10. Organic Bug Spray Recipe for the Garden from The Elliott Homestead
11. DIY Mosquito Repellent from Lexie’s Kitchen
12. Indoor/Outdoor All-Around Bug Spray from Your Thriving Family
13. 15+ Tips & Recipes for Repelling Mosquitoes from Accidentally Green (I’m especially interested in trying the basil vodka spray!)
14. DIY Marigold Insect Spray from Deep Roots at Home
15. 13 Tips for Keeping the Bugs Away Naturally (and dealing with bites!) from Day2Day Joys
16-17. 3 Natural Bug Repellent Recipes from Wellness Mama (including an herbal mix)
18. Dried Lavender Insect Repellent from WikiHow
19. Beeswax Insect Repellent Candles from Design Sponge (how cool are these?!)
20. My Go-To Recipe—->
Although sometimes I’ll play around with different essential oil combos, my favorite mix-it-up-quick recipe uses doTERRA’s TerraShield blend.
Terrashield is a blend of 14 different essential oils in a coconut oil base. I like to mix up 40-50 drops in about a quart of water, along with a couple drops of liquid dish soap to help the mixture to combine. I give it a quick shake, and spray liberally on my horses and cattle.
I’ve also found it useful to rub the blend on my dogs, or myself and the kids if the little biting flies are attacking, or when the ‘skeeters are out. And, it’s handy to stick the bottle in your purse or backpack when you are on the go.
P.S. Like what you read? Join over 33,000 other homesteaders and get farm-fresh inspiration from The Prairie Homestead delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up Now! (it's quick and easy--plus you'll NEVER get spam from us!)
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.