20 Essential Oil Recipes for Your Diffuser

essential oil recipes for diffusers

I’ve officially broken-up with my candle collection.

I used to be a complete candle-addict, but my candles have collected a lot of dust since my first essential oil diffuser arrived last year.

Diffusing essential oils not only makes my home smell nice, but they also can provide other health benefits as well. I have lost count of how many diffusers I currently have in my home

I always use cold-air diffusers, since anything that heats the oils can damage some of their beneficial properties.

I never use candle warmers or anything that might heat the oils too much. Cold air diffusers are the best way to preserve al the beneficial properties of your precious essential oils.

If you are new to essential oils, there’s no better way to get to know them than through your diffuser. Try a few of my top favorite essential oil recipes for your diffuser below to get you started!

essential oil recipes for diffusers

20 Essential Oil Recipes for your Diffuser

General Guidelines:

• The following blends are meant to be used in a cold-air diffuser. These diffusers usually require a small amount of water to be added, along with the oils. (Usually around 70 mL)
  • Follow the manufacturers directions on your diffuser.
  • If you don’t have one of the oils called for in the recipe, you can still try the recipe without it.

1. Let’s Focus Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

This is a much-loved combo, and for good reason! It’s perfect to increase alertness, or when you need a quick pick-me-up.

• 2 drops wild orange essential oil
  • 2 drops peppermint essential oil

2. Fresh and Clean Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

This blend is wonderful for creating a welcoming atmosphere in your home. It’s bright and fresh:

• 2 drops lavender essential oil
  • 2 drops lemon essential oil
  • 2 drops rosemary essential oil

3. Odor Eliminator Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

We are animal-people, and we’ve had our fair share of “incidences” in our house. Whenever this happens, I like to diffuse this blend. It freshens up the air in no time:

• 2 drops lemon essential oil
  • 1 drop melaleuca essential oil
  • 1 drop cilantro essential oil
  • 1 drop lime essential oil

4. Seasonal Support Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

These three oils together are spectacular for helping to maintain clear breathing and a healthy immune response. I use this blend especially during the spring and summer months.

• 2 drops lavender essential oil
  • 2 drops lemon essential oil
  • 2 drops peppermint essential oil

5. Citrus Explosion Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

I love diffusing citrus blends when we have company coming over. It makes my house smell happy and clean.

• 1 drop lemon essential oil
  • 2 drops wild orange essential oil
  • 1 drop lime essential oil
  • 1 drop grapefruit essential oil

6. Deep Breath Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

I tend to be a very high-energy person. The good part of that? I get a lot done. The bad part? I have a hard time settling down sometimes…

I adore this blend for the evenings when I’m trying to slow my brain down, and I also like to diffuse it in the bedroom as I fall asleep:

• 1 drop bergamot essential oil
  • 1 drop patchouli essential oil
  • 1 drop ylang ylang essential oil

7. Respiratory Support Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

Use this blend to support respiratory function–especially during the winter months.

• 1 drop lemon essential oil
  • 1 drop eucalyptus essential oil
  • 2 drops peppermint essential oil
  • 1 drop rosemary essential oil

8. Flower Garden Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

Want your home to smell like a flower garden in full bloom? Try this one:

• 1 drop geranium essential oil
  • 2 drops lavender essential oil
  • 2 drops roman chamomile essential oil

Click Here to Get Jill’s Free Essential Oil eBook >>

9. Man-Cave Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

I think this combo smells very masculine and woodsy… Although I enjoy it too.

• 2 drops white first essential oil
  • 2 drops cypress essential oil
  • 2 drops wintergreen essential oil

10. Bug Repellent Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

This combo isn’t one that I’d necessarily wear as perfume, but it contains a collection of oils that most creepy-crawlies dislike:

• 1 drop lemongrass essential oil
  • 1 drop thyme essential oil
  • 1 drop eucalyptus essential oil
  • 1 drop basil essential oil

11. Spiced Chai Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

Craving a cup of chai? Either make my homemade chai tea concentrate, or put this blend in your diffuser:

• 3 drops cardamom essential oil
  • 2 drops cassia essential oil
  • 2 drops clove essential oil
  • 1 drop ginger essential oil

12. Spicey Citrus Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

What autumn should smell like.

• 3 drops wild orange essential oil
  • 2 drops cinnamon bark essential oil
  • 1 drop clove essential oil

essential oil recipes for diffusers

13. Woodsy Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

Feeling like a walk in the woods, but stuck at home? Try this instead:

• 3 drops frankincense essential oil
  • 2 drops white fir essential oil
  • 1 drop cedarwood essential oil

14. Immune Booster Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

A perfect option during cold and flu season:

• 1 drop rosemary essential oil
  • 1 drop clove essential oil
  • 1 drop eucalyptus essential oil
  • 1 drop cinnamon bark essential oil
  • 1 drop wild orange essential oil

15. Anti-Stress Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

Feeling frazzled? This is one of my favorite combos:

• 2 drops frankincense essential oil
  • 2 drops bergamot essential oil

16. G’Night Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

For a sweet night’s sleep:

• 2 drops lavender essential oil
  • 2 drops chamomile essential oil
  • 2 drops vetiver essential oil

(For more essential oils for better sleep, click HERE)

17. Candy Store Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

I don’t know why, but this one smells like candy. The kids love it, and it’ll make your house happy.

• 2 drops wild orange essential oil
  • 2 drop wintergreen essential oil

18. Energize Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

Diffuse this one first thing in the morning for a big boost:

• 2 drops wild orange essential oil
  • 2 drops frankincense essential oil
  • 2 drops cinnamon essential oil

19. Grounding Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

For those moments when everyone really needs to chill out:

• 2 drops vetiver essential oil
  • 2 drops cedarwood essential oil

20. Happy Holiday Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe

• 2 drops white fir
  • 2 drops wild orange
  • 1 drop wintergreen

Wondering Where to Get Essential Oils?

I have been using the same brand for 3+ years and love them. I’ll tell you all about them here.

Click Here to Get Jill’s Free Essential Oil eBook >>

Other Oily Posts:

essential oil recipes for diffusers

*Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. None of the information on this blog is intended to cure, treat, or heal any disease. Please use essential oils at your own risk with lots of common sense.*

Can't Get Enough Homesteading Goodness?

Join over 63,000 others who get the weekly Homestead Toolbox delivered fresh to their inbox. It's packed full of recipes, ideas, and homesteading tips you can actually use (no fluff), plus a copy of my very popular mulch gardening how-to guide.

Let's go!

Comments

1. Jeannie says

I love your info. I love how we can learn more about oils from others’ experiences. I’ve been inspired!! I too am an IPC.

2. Amy says

So, when you list those ingredients, and underneath have the blend name, is the “recipe” the one for the actual blend or is it just a similar one? I’m trying to find the “recipe” for both the balance and serenity blends.

• says

My recipes are different that what you would get in the blend. My “relaxation” blend and the relaxation blend have different ingredients. Hope that makes sense. :)

3. says

Great list! We love the Ultrasonic Classic diffuser at our house–have you tried that one? I do love the Whisper, but our Ultrasonics are more affordable for placing in multiple locations throughout the house.

4. doris brown says

i tried to join your facebook group by clicking on your link-i activated the email button you sent-put says facebbok page is currently unavailable-and i know you still havve dec and jan and fev–pls help thnks doris

5. Lisa says

Can I just drop these individual essential oils into my diffuser or must I first blend them together in an amber bottle and then put a few drops of that blend into my diffuser? Thanks for your help!

6. says

Okay, so I am clearly late to the game on this post, but I am so glad I found it! Jill, I have been researching essential oils, diffusers, oil blends, etc. – and my gosh!, there is a lot of information out there. It is overwhelming. Thank you for this very helpful, easy to follow post on using essential oils in a diffuser. I signed up to receive your emails and got your book for FREE. Thank you! My family of four has been so sick this past month. My friends keep telling me that I need to be using essential oils. Your blog is fantastic. I know I will be coming back to visit often. Blessings, Jana

7. Lori says

thank you for breaking down the blends. Let me know please where I can get more recipes I’m new to essential oils but I’m sold after had sick kids, eucalyptus, lavender, and tea tree oils worked great especially for the 3 year old, who’s to young for other meds.

8. Roxann says

Would your bug repellent blend work as a fly/mosquito spray for horses? If so, what would i mix it with? Water? What would the ratio be?thanks so much!
    Also, to use your respritory blend,would the reed diffuser be strong enough to work or would it need to be an actual cold air diffuser if my asthma child had a cold,etc.?

• says

Hi Roxann,

There are many essential oils that work to repel bugs–sometimes you just have to play around with what is most effective in your area. I have lots of bug spray recipes in my latest ebook: http://theprairiehomestead.com/natural-homestead

As far as the respiratory blend, I doubt it’d be very effective if you used it in the reed diffuser. A cold air diffuser would be better.

9. says

Glad I found you on pinterest, always looking for guidance in this area, love using oils in my Lotus Deffuser 😉 and with the information you provide, am now experimenting, thank you so much and will be following you closely
    Regards Bill

10. Debbie says

I was wondering what you would recommend for a doctors waiting room. My friend is opening her practice in her home and I suggested she use essential oils to mask home odors like cooking, etc. What would be safe and not so overpowering for all patients?

Thank you.

Debbie

11. June Geisler says

Hi Jill! I love your website! I’m a 58 yr old widowed teacher, but I love following your site! Do you know of a diffuser that doesn’t have a light or glow? The light keeps me up at night, yet I need my essential oils!
    Thanks!!
    June

12. says

We just had a few days of ridiculous hot wind (by the beach..ahem* SAND). First thing this morning I put lemongrass in my diffuser. HUGE difference. The wind storm seems to have stopped so today is going to be the day to wipe everything down. I’m making a spray with the lemongrass to wipe down the surfaces.

13. Gini a West says

Love your site and information! Had quit using my cold air diffuser and pulled it out a few days ago while sick with a case of bronchitis. So much better after enjoying peppermint and eucalyptus. Making my shopping list now!

14. Camille says

Hi, I have an oil burner and find no matter what scent I use it ends up smelling like the very first oil I ever put in it and it’s Def not my fav. Do you find this issue with your diffuser or any other? Maybe I need a different one?

• says

Hi Camille,

I don’t have any experience with oil burners, but my diffusers don’t have that problem– I switch scents on a daily basis. :)

15. Betty Mauer says

Hi Jill,
    I didn’t receive your essential oil e-book. I would like to know how I can obtain a copy? Thanks

16. Cheryl in France says

Weird question- how can you switch from mix to mix in the same diffuser without having crossover? Is cleaning it out very complicated? And how to inhibit mold growth in the cold air diffuser- is it just a bonus that the EOs are anti bacterial/biotic/fungal or do you have to add some other ingredient? (I did read the article, I just didn’t see it, but it’s almost 1 am, so that may be why, lol)

• says

Switching mixes is very easy– I simply let one run out, and then add in another. If there is any crossover, it’s usually only noticeable for a few seconds. And I’ve never had any mold growth– many EOs are antifungal, which I’m sure has a lot to do with that. :)

17. says

I love the combinations that you’ve shared, but I have a question . . . I thought that you shouldn’t use citrus oils in your diffuser. I guess it must depend on the diffuser?

18. Kay says

Problem with the Aroma Lite with Citrus Bliss eating away the plastic spout after two weeks of usage, 4-5 drops every other day on full cycle. Any suggestions?

• Kat says

Any essential oils will eat through plastic. The only things that should come in contact with EOs are glass & stainless steel.

19. Julie says

I’m new to the EO world – just bought a few oils and the ultrasonic diffuser (LOVE IT!) Question for the bug repellant – is there a way to mix the oils and spray it on you? or can you mix the oils into come coconut oil and rub it on your arms and legs? Thanks! Jules

Trackbacks