Honestly, I’m not totally sure what to call this recipe…
Our family calls it a milkshake, but it’s slightly misleading since it doesn’t contain any ice cream.
So, I decided to call it a smoothie instead, but that makes me think of breakfast drinks that contain yogurt and strawberries and sometimes the random handful of kale…
It’s more of a “dessert smoothie,” I guess. This is our favorite treat after a long, hot day working around our homestead. We love kicking back on the front deck or settling down for a movie with a tall, frosty glass of this chocolate peppermint “smoothie” in our hands.
It doesn’t contain any refined sugar, so you don’t have to feel too very guilty for indulging in it
every night every so often..
Milkshake, er Smoothie
- 1 cup whole milk (preferably raw)
- 1.5 cups ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (homemade is best, of course)
- 1/8-1/4 cup real maple syrup (affiliate link)
- 2 ablespoons cocoa powder OR carob powder (affiliate link)
- 8-10 drops liquid stevia extract (I like this brand) (affiliate link)
- 1 drop (yes really, ONE DROP) of Peppermint essential oil* -OR- 1/4 teaspoon of Peppermint extract
Note on the sweeteners: I wanted to avoid white sugar in this recipe. If you don’t have Stevia, use more syrup. Also, you may want to add a bit more, if your family likes their drinks sweeter. As written, it is not overwhelmingly sweet
Place all ingredients in blender. Blend thoroughly.
I originally wrote this recipe to fit my tiny blender (this was before I got my Vitamix). However, if you have a bigger blender, you can totally double it.
*If you are using an essential oil in this recipe, make sure they are labeled as safe for ingestion and are pure. I use doTERRA oils and feel comfortable adding them to the occasion recipe because of their commitment to purity.