In this podcast episode, I’m thrilled to be chatting with a long-time friend, Lisa Bass.
Lisa talks about how she lived the farm life while living in town. How she cooked like a homesteader before she even owned a farm.
And Lisa and I delve deep into a topic that has always been a thorn in my side. Lisa breaks down the secrets behind her meal planning, how she’s developed a system of routines that works well for her large family. We chat about our family’s staple meals. And Lisa shares numerous great tips, not to mention a few secret weapons too.
And be sure to hop over to Lisa’s podcast—Simple Farmhouse Life—for the rest of our conversation today.
Podcast Episode Highlights
- How Lisa found food when she didn’t live on a homestead/farm
- Assumptions about cookbook/homestead authors having perfect meal plans
- Tip #1: Thawing meat
- Tip #2: Always stock common vegetables
- Tip #3: Stock sauerkraut and eggs
- Realize that cooking skills take time
- Favorite cookbooks and resources
- Rotating through meals
- A closer look at breakfast, lunch, and supper
- Working with small stoves
- Making meals and breadmaking part of your routine
- Examining and fixing personal roadblocks
- Quick “emergency” meal ideas
- Modern kitchen appliance: worth it or not?
- Freezer meals, batch meals, etc.: worth it or not?
- Convenience foods or only homemade?
- Final tips
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
Meal Planning ebook from Lisa (mentioned in the podcast episode): https://www.farmhouseonboone.com/4-week-meal-plans
Follow Lisa at:
Ready to join the newsletter for mavericks who value free-thinking, ditching the status quo, and taking charge of every part of our lives? Click now! https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/freethinker
Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
Head to http://prairieplanner.com/ to get your 2022 Prairie Planner today!
Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
Follow Jill on Twitter: http://twitter.com/homesteader
Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/jill.winger
More Meal Planning Tips:
- How I Find Meal Inspiration When I’m in a Rut (podcast episode)
- 5 Meal Planning Tips from a Non Meal Planner (podcast episode)
- My 5 Favorite Ways to Use Sourdough Discard
- How to Store a Year’s Worth of Food for Your Family (Without Waste and Overwhelm)