Today is the day my friends! All of the planning and preparation is done, and the time has finally arrived to plant our seeds in the ground. However, before you toss everything aside and sprint out to your garden, there are a couple of things you’ll want to consider.
In today’s episode, I detail why frost dates and garden zones are important and how to find them. I discuss several different ways to prep your soil, including a rototiller and a good old-fashioned shovel. Finally, I explain how to determine how much you should plant per family member. These crucial steps can make all the difference when it comes to your final results. Whatever you do, don’t throw away your valuable prep time by skipping these important details!
Did you enjoy listening to this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review to let us know. This can help other folks learn about this podcast and we also really appreciate the feedback!
Podcast Episode Resources and Links Mentioned
A BIG shout-out to our podcast sponsor this month— True Leaf Market! http://theprairiehomestead.com/seeds
They are one of my most-favorite seed companies specializing in organic, heirloom seeds with hundreds of varieties to pick from! Use code SPRING2021 for $10 your first order of $50 or more.
- How much to plant per person in your garden: https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2018/03/how-much-to-plant-per-person-garden.html
- Find your frost dates with this useful tool: garden.org frost date calculator
- How I Grow HUNDREDS of Pounds of Vegetables for Less Than $40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRy0kc5vhQc
- Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
- Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
- Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, and tutorials and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
- Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
- Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
- Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/theprairiehomestead
More Gardening Tips:
- The #1 Thing That Will Improve Your Garden (podcast episode)
- These 3 Tricks are Saving Me TONS of Time in the Garden (podcast episode)
- What We Learned from Having our Garden Soil Tested (podcast episode)
- Reasons to Plant a Victory Garden (blog & podcast)