Today I’m inviting ya’ll to put on your muck boots and come down to the barn with me!
I’ll introduce you to Miss Mabel and walk you through my basic cow milking routine.
Are ya ready? Let’s go!
How to Milk a Cow
What You Can Expect to See in this Milking Video:
- Me getting whacked in the face with Mabel’s tail multiple times.
- My super high-tech milking stool.
- Mabel perfectly illustrating how fidgety cows can be…
- The chicken that won’t stop laying eggs in the trash can
- The $8 milk strainer I’ve used for YEARS
A Few Things I Forgot to Mention in the Video:
- I milk our cow from the “incorrect” (left) side, as you can see in the video. Traditionally, cows are milked from the right. I say do it from both sides. 😉
- I don’t get a lot of cream unless the calf has been weaned. When I share milk or milk once a day like I am now, the cow tends to save back the hindmilk (the richest, creamiest milk) for her calf.
- If you don’t have any calves on your cow, it is very important to milk your cow completely out— otherwise, you’ll cause her to dry up prematurely.
- I usually clean off the concrete pad where I milk a little more thoroughly. I was a little rushed to complete this video session before nap time was over… whoops.
Some Other Posts That Go Along with This Cow Milking Video:
- My Favorite Home Dairy Recipes
- My homemade udder balm recipe
- 20+ all-natural fly spray recipes, including my favorite!
- How I Milk a Cow Once Per Day