What picture comes to your mind when you hear the word ‘homestead’?
Perhaps you envision a quaint little farmhouse surrounded by tall oaks and a meandering creek; complete with a grazing Jersey milk cow in the back pasture.
I think that the majority of us would love to have a homestead like the one described above, but let’s face it: those types of properties are few and far between, not to mention expensive!
So, what do you do if you are one of the millions of “other” folks? You know who you are:
- The ones with a tiny backyard, instead of countless acres.
- The ones with an apartment balcony instead of tall oak trees.
- The ones with rocky, hilly land, instead of fertile rolling prairie.
- The ones who have never owned an animal larger than a goldfish.
What are YOU supposed to do? Just write off your dreams and assume you are not one of the “lucky” ones?
Well, I’m here to tell you otherwise. It’s my opinion that ANYONE can have a piece of the homesteading dream, regardless of where you live.
Because homesteading is a fill-in-the-blank kind of venture.
For example, I live on the prairie, so my homestead is called The Prairie Homestead. I love where we live, but it’s definitely not the perfect homesteading enviroment. It’s incredibly dry, windy, and the winters are harsh. The growing season is short, and fruit trees are very difficult to grow. We are a far cry from the lush, green farms that allow for gardening year around.
Now, you fill in the blank according to your situation:
“The ____________ Homestead. “
Perhaps you have a City homestead? A Mountain homestead? A Suburban homestead? An Oceanside homestead? Maybe even an Apartment homestead?
Embrace your unique situation and make the best of it!
Having the perfect farmhouse with the white picket fence isn’t necessarily the magic formula that makes you a homesteader.
The homesteading spirit is really about returning to our roots of simplicity:
- Of hard, yet fulfilling work.
- Of an intimate relationship with our food.
- Of quality family time NOT spent around a talking box or at the mall.
- Of a life that is not dominated by STUFF.
The Prairie Homestead is here to help you to return to those roots and learn how to cultivate old-fashioned skills in a modern world.
Here at The Prairie Homestead, You’ll Learn How to:
- Homestead no matter where you live- an apartment, suburbia, or on a chunk of land outside of town.
- Start your own home dairy
- Pressure can your home-grown food (without blowing anything up)
- Make nourishing meals with old-fashioned ingredients. (Lard or tallow anyone?)
- Use natural remedies like essential oils instead of pharmaceuticals
- Save money and cut costs while pursuing a homesteading lifestyle
- Make DIY-versions of common household items like carpet cleaner, hand sanitizer, and laundry stain remover.
- And a whole lot more!
We invite you along on our journey to simple, wholesome, and sustainable living. Won’t you join us?
If this describes you, be sure to subscribe to our FREE email updates to get homesteading tips, ideas, and encouragement delivered straight to your inbox! You can also keep up on the homesteading action via Facebook, Pinterest, and Google Plus.
Most-Loved Prairie Homestead Posts:
- 16 Things to do with Leftover Whey
- How to Naturally Disinfect your Chicken Coop
- Why I Don’t Clip Coupons
- Soft Homemade Tortillas
- The Goat 101 Series
- Homemade Refried Beans
- When She Leaves…
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.