A Little Bit About Me
I’m a wife, mom of two, follower of Jesus, farm animal collector, entrepreneur, mason jar fanatic, fledgling milk maid, wannabe gardener, essential oil junkie, and lover of wide open spaces. I live with my family out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming, out on the open prairie (hence the blog name…)
I love all things old– vintage recipes, weathered barns, rusty antiques, and chipped paint. I thrive on a bit of organized chaos, and it doesn’t bother me in the slightest that I live 45 minutes from the closest grocery store.
To get to know me on a more personal level, you can hang out with me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. You’ll get to meet my animal crew, see my homesteading mishaps, and catch up on my daily life over there.
Why I Started The Prairie Homestead
My journey into modern-day homesteading all began with a compost pile. I really never intended to end up being a cow milking, bread baking, natural remedy using, veggie growing prairie dweller, but here I am, and it’s been a wild ride.
I wasn’t raised in the country, and I had a pretty conventional childhood. But I was born with a love for the rural way of life, and that love blossomed into a near obsession as I grew up.
As a young married couple, my husband and I found ourselves determined to own land, and found a 67-acre property in Wyoming. After we bought our property, I started feeling some strange urges: I suddenly wanted to garden, and build a compost pile, and the idea of dairy animals floated across my mind. I wasn’t sure where these desires came from, but they quickly became all-consuming.
As I started learning new skills and doing things I’d NEVER done before, I felt the need to keep track of it all. The Prairie Homestead became a place for me to ramble about my newly formed thoughts and ideas. However, it didn’t stop there.
I had a sneaking suspicion that most people have a bit of homesteading spirit hidden deep inside of them, just like I did.
I started this blog to encourage you to explore those ideas yourself and return to your roots of self-sufficiency and simple living, whether you live on a sprawling ranch or in a high-rise apartment.
Remember, it’s not the destination, it’s the journey. And I look forward to sharing our journey to simple, wholesome, sustainable living with you!
Some Random Stuff About Me
- I am passionate about horsemanship, and have been obsessed with horses since I was 2 years old. At the tender age of 18 I moved 1200 miles from home to pursue a career in the horse industry. I still love to ride and have several horses.
- I have a bad habit of impulse buying farm animals.
- I once rode a steer out of a bucking chute. I didn’t stay on very long, but it was a blast.
- I haven’t always eaten whole foods like I do now… In fact, I have a horrible sweet tooth and used to drink a lot of soda.
- Speaking in front of 6500 people at the 2014 doTERRA essential oil convention was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life.
- I’ve never really loved writing, and never expected to become a blog writer or author of books. But it’s grown on me over the last few years.
- Rattlesnakes don’t really bother me (we have a lot of them around our property) but I.HATE.MAGGOTS. They gross me out… I’ll take a snake over maggots any day.
- I used to hate cooking. My mom tried to teach me, but finally gave up. It wasn’t until I was a newlywed that I finally became interested in the kitchen-arts.
- Oh, and it case you were wondering, I generally don’t wear a skirt while operating a pitch fork… In fact, I rarely get dressed up, and you’ll most often find me wearing manure-flecked jeans and a messy bun. Just so ya know…
Other Places You’ll find Me:
- Author of Natural Homestead: 40+ Recipes for Natural Critters & Crops
- Author of Your Custom Homestead: Awakening a Fresh Vision of Homesteading
- Contributing author to the newly published book, “Trust Your Intuition: 25 “Natural Medicine Confessions” from Influential Women Who Choose Healing Remedies for their Families”
- Featured in the September/October 2012 issue of Urban Farm magazine
- Featured in the April 2014 edition of the Live Well Wyoming Publication.
- Interviewed in the feature article in the July/August 2014 edition of the Live Well Wyoming Publication
- Presenter at the Accelerate University doTERRA Expert Summit (July 2014)
- Columnist for Hobby Farm Home magazine (2013)
- Contributing writer for The Better Mom from 2011-2012