A Little Bit About Me
I’m a wife, mom of two, follower of Jesus, farm animal collector, entrepreneur, mason jar fanatic, fledgling milk maid, wannabe gardener, essential oil junkie, and lover of wide open spaces. I live with my family out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming, out on the open prairie (hence the blog name…)
I love all things old– vintage recipes, weathered barns, rusty antiques, and chipped paint. I thrive on a bit of organized chaos, and it doesn’t bother me in the slightest to live 45 minutes from the closest grocery store.
To get to know me on a more personal level, you can hang out with me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. You’ll get to meet my animal crew, see my homesteading mishaps (there are lots of those…), and catch up on my daily life over there.
Why I Started a Homesteading Blog
I have discovered most people have a bit of homesteading spirit hidden deep inside of them, just like I found within myself about seven years ago.
We had just bought our 67-acre fixer-upper, and I suddenly found myself wanting to garden, build a compost pile, and keep dairy animals. I had no idea where these bizarre urges came from– I wasn’t raised in the country, and I had a pretty conventional childhood. However, my newfound interests quickly became all-consuming. And I’ve never looked back.
I have found such immense satisfaction from adopting this lifestyle, I want to make it available to everyone. This blog exists to encourage YOU to explore modern homesteading and return to YOUR roots of self-sufficiency and simple living, no matter if you live on a sprawling ranch or in a high-rise apartment.
I aim to inspire you, motivate you, and spur you on to finding the deep satisfaction that comes from growing your food and getting dirt under your fingernails, no matter where you live or what homesteading might look like in your situation.
You don’t have to come from a farming heritage, own tons of land, or be an expert gardener to benefit from the old-fashioned skills, from-scratch recipes, and wholesale way of life that is found on the pages of this blog. The best part of this simple mindset is that the potential for knock-your-socks-off satisfaction is available for everyone.
Remember, it’s not the destination, it’s the journey. And this homesteading journey is
Totally Random Facts About Me
- I am passionate about horsemanship, and have been obsessed with horses since I was 2 years old. At the tender age of 18 I moved 1200 miles from home to pursue a career in the horse industry. I still love to ride and have several horses.
- I have a bad habit of impulse buying farm animals.
- I once rode a steer out of a bucking chute. I didn’t stay on very long, but it was a blast.
- I haven’t always eaten whole foods like I do now… In fact, I have a horrible sweet tooth and used to drink a lot of soda.
- Speaking in front of 6500 people at the 2014 doTERRA essential oil convention was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life.
- I’ve never really loved writing, and never expected to become a blog writer or author of books. But it’s grown on me quite a bit, and I now rather pounding out my rag-tag collection of thoughts on the keyboard.
- Rattlesnakes don’t bother me (we have a lot of them around our property) but I HATE MAGGOTS. They gross me out… I’ll take a snake over maggots any day.
- Oh, and it case you were wondering, I generally don’t wear a skirt while operating a pitch fork (per the photo above)… In fact, I rarely get dressed up, and you’ll most often find me wearing manure-flecked jeans and a messy bun. Just so ya know…
- Author of Natural Homestead: 40+ Recipes for Natural Critters & Crops
- Author of Your Custom Homestead: Awakening a Fresh Vision of Homesteading
- Contributing author to “Trust Your Intuition: 25 “Natural Medicine Confessions” from Influential Women Who Choose Healing Remedies for their Families”
- Featured in How to Make Money Homesteading by Tim Young
- Expand Your Reach Through Social Media – 2014 doTERRA International Convention, Salt Lake City, UT
- Got the Urge to Live off the Land? 2014 Wyoming Woman in Agriculture Symposium, Casper, WY
- Got a Blog? 2014 Wyoming Woman in Agriculture Symposium, Casper, WY
- Return to Your Roots: How Anyone Can Embrace the Homesteading Lifestyle, Self-Reliance Summit, online, October 2014
- How to Share doTERRA Through Social Media, Accelerate University doTERRA Expert Summit, online, July 2014
Published Work in Print Publications:
- Room for Improvement Column, Hobby Farm Home Magazine, Jan/Feb 2013
- Room for Improvement Column, Hobby Farm Home Magazine, Mar/April 2013
- Room for Improvement Column, Hobby Farm Home Magazine, May/June 2013
- Room for Improvement Column, Hobby Farm Home Magazine, July/August 2013
- Room for Improvement Column, Hobby Farm Home Magazine, Sept/Oct 2013
- Room for Improvement Column, Hobby Farm Home Magazine, Nov/Dec 2013
- Room for Improvement Column, Hobby Farm Home Magazine, Jan/Feb 2014
- Country State of Mind, Urban Farm Magazine, September/October 2012
- From Wyoming to the World, Live Well Wyoming, April 2014
- A Day in the Life of a Modern Homesteader, Live Well Wyoming, July/August 2014
- Homesteading with Jill Winger, Know Your Food with Wardee podcast, episode #71, May 2014