Hey. I’m Jill.
I’m a wife, mom of two, follower of Jesus, farm animal collector, entrepreneur, mason jar fanatic, fledgling milk maid, wannabe gardener, essential oil junkie, and lover of wide open spaces. I live with my family out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming, on the open prairie (hence the blog name…)
I love all things old– vintage recipes, weathered barns, rusty antiques, and chipped paint. I thrive on a bit of organized chaos, and it doesn’t bother me in the slightest to live 45 minutes from the closest grocery store.
Why I Started Homesteading
I wasn’t raised a homesteader. Heck, I wasn’t even raised in the country. I had a very conventional childhood, filled with processed foods, trips to the doctor to get antibiotics, and never thinking twice about where my supper came from.
And then one day, it all changed.
It’s like I awoke from a trance. I suddenly wanted more.
I suspect being pregnant with my first child, combined with the purchased of our first acreage began the process, but mostly, I think a part of me that desired freedom was awakening and could no longer be ignored.
- I wanted freedom from industrialized food and massive corporations deciding what was healthy for me.
- I wanted freedom from being forever dependent on the grocery store.
- I wanted freedom from the crazy chemicals, food dyes, preservatives, and carcinogens in the packaged food I was eating.
- I wanted freedom from feeling helpless when it came to food production, and I wanted to recapture some of the lost skills of generations past.
People told me it couldn’t be done. That I couldn’t buck an industrialized establishment. That no one grew their own food anymore. That I wouldn’t be able to handle it since I wasn’t raised in the country.
But that’s what I love about this lifestyle.
Modern homesteading gives you the freedom to write your own story. Even if you grew up in the heart of the city. Even if you’ve never milked a cow before. Or planted a bean seed. Or put up a jar of homegrown tomatoes.
Diving headfirst into the modern homesteading lifestyle has been one of the most difficult, empowering, and most fulfilling things I’ve ever done. And I knew there had to be others out there who were ready to take charge of their lives, live with intention, get out of the rut, and return to their roots.
Which is why I started this blog.
So if you’re feeling the pull of homesteading, and the freedom it brings, you’re in the right place.
I invite you to join me in my homesteading adventures in this little corner of the web. I don’t claim to be an expert, but rest assured; I will be here to share my successes, my failures, and my victories along the way.
And maybe, just maybe, you’ll be inspired to write your own homesteading story in the process.
I sure hope so.
Wanna Follow Along?
- Get my weekly Homestead Toolbox Newsletter (It gets glowing reviews from busy homesteaders who need quick ideas, minus the fluff.)
- Join the homesteading community on Facebook
- Follow me on Pinterest
- Hang out with me on Instagram