How to Make Herbal Vinegar
An herbal vinegar is a wonderful way to preserve garden herbs and also to give your recipes a boost of flavor.
2 Cups Vinegar of Your Choice
1 Cup Fresh Herbs or 2 Tablespoons Dried Herbs
- Choose the vinegar and herb combination you will be making and decide if you will be using the heated or unheated method.
- Place the herbs that you have chosen into your glass jar.
- Heated method – pour 2 cups of vinegar into a saucepan and heat until 180 degrees, then pour over the herbs you placed in the jar. Non-Heated method – Simply pour two cups of vinegar over your herbs in the jar.
- Seal your jar and allow your herbs to steep (preferably in a dark and cool place) for an extended period of time, usually about 2 weeks (more or less time depending on your tastes). If you remember, gently shake your jar every other day to help with the steeping and mixing process.
- After your herbs have steeped, pour your vinegar through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth into another jar or finishing bottle (this will remove any remaining herb bits).
- (Optional) Add a fresh piece of your chosen herb to the finished jar or bottle. This is simply for looks.
This recipe will also work for infusing vinegar you plan to use for cleaning the home. Judge the doneness by your desired smell not taste.