Canning Pears in Maple Syrup
- Firm, ripe, washed pears (about 2 pounds fills one quart jar)
- Lemon juice and water for presoaking (optional)
- Maple syrup (enough to fill jars after pears are packed in)
- Cut pairs in half and scoop out the small seeds.
- Soak your pairs for 2-3 minutes in a lemon water bath. (optional)
- Pack the pears into hot, sterilized jars.
- Cover pears with hot syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Wipe rims and place a hot canning lid on each jar.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 25 minutes for pint jars and 30 minutes for quart jars. (Add 1 minute additional processing time for every 1000 feet above sea level.)