The Best Mashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- 3 lbs russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (I use this one)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the potato chunks, garlic, 1 tablespoon salt, and bay leaf in a stockpot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and immediately place them back into the hot pot. Discard the bay leaf, then stir the potatoes for one to two minutes over low heat until the water cooks away and the potatoes are dry.
- Add the sour cream, butter, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Mash with potato masher until smooth. Serve immediately.