Homemade Suet Cakes for Chickens
- Category: Barnyard
- 1 ½ cups melted tallow, lard, or meat drippings
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds (in the shell)
- 1 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, chopped apples, etc)
- 1 cup whole grains (scratch mix, whole wheat, or millet are ideal)
- Line a nine-by-five inch loaf pan (or any similar sized pan) with parchment paper, foil, or plastic wrap. Mix the seeds, fruit, and grains together, and place in the pan.
- Cover the dry ingredients completely with the liquid fat. You may need to mash everything around with a fork to make sure there are no air bubbles.
- Allow to harden completely. You can speed up this process by sticking it in the refrigerator for a while.
- Remove it from the pan by lifting up on the liner to pop it out. You can cut it into several pieces, or feed the whole thing at once.