Slow Cooker Rotisserie Style Chicken
- Category: Main Dish- Chicken
- One 5 to 6 pound whole chicken
- 2 pounds baby potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 head garlic
- 4–5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Savory Seasoning Mix
- 2 tsp sea salt (I use Redmond Salt)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Remove the giblets and neck; reserve for making stock. Thoroughly rinse the bird in cool running water, trim away any excess skin; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the seasoning mix ingredients; set aside.
- Cut the carrots into 3 inch pieces. Smash and peel all of the cloves in one head of garlic.
- In a six-quart slow cooker, evenly distribute the baby potatoes, carrot chunks and half of the garlic cloves along the bottom.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over the top of the chicken. Then stuff with the remaining garlic cloves, along with a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Use kitchen twine to tie the legs together, if desired.
- Place the bird breast side up on top of the root veggies. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours until cooked through. Chicken is finished when an instant read thermometer registers 165 degrees.
- To crisp the skin, carefully transfer the bird to a broiler pan. Set oven to broil and position the bird about 12 inches from the heat source. Broil for approximately 4-5 minutes, just until skin browns and crisps. Delicious and easy! (Remember to save the chicken bones to make easy and healthy homemade slow cooker bone broth.)