How to Make Sour Cream
- Category: Home Dairy
- 4 cups heavy cream
- One of the following starter cultures:
- 1 packet direct-set sour cream culture (like this)
- OR 1/8th teaspoon mesophilic starter culture (like this)
- OR 1 cup sour cream with live, active cultures*
- *If using 1 cup of sour cream as your starter, reduce the amount of heavy cream to 3 cups.
- Gently heat the cream to 86 degrees Farenheit. Stir the starter culture into the warm cream.
- Cover it loosely with a towel and rubber band, and allow it to sit at room temperature for 12-24 hours, or until it is thickened and tangy.
- If you like, you can now turn your sour cream into cultured butter, or just drizzle it (or plop it–depending on the consistency) on your favorite dishes.