DIY Homemade Cough Drops
- 1 cup slippery elm bark powder (finely ground)
- 4–6 Tablespoons honey (raw is best if you can find it)
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- Place slippery elm bark powder in a medium bowl. Add the cinnamon and four tablespoons of honey and stir to combine. If honey is somewhat hard, gently warm before adding to the slippery elm powder so that it is easier to stir.
- If this mixture is crumbly and won’t form a thick dough, add the extra 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Take small portions of the mixture (about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon) and roll into balls.
- Place the balls on wax paper that has been laid on a counter top, table, or in a baking dish or cookie sheet (I prefer the cookie sheet as it holds a lot and is easy to move around and get out of the way, if necessary).
- Leave the lozenges to dry for at least 24 hours. You may need to leave them slightly longer if you live in a damp climate.
- Wrap them in small squares of wax paper, or store unwrapped in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
- Makes approximately 36 throat lozenges.