How to Can Pears Without Sugar
- Firm, ripe pears (it generally takes 2-3 lbs of pears to fill one quart jar)
- Lemon juice (for pretreatment– optional)
- Wash the pears and halve or quarter them. Remove spoiled spots. (You can peel them if you wish, but I didn’t!)
- Allow the pears to soak for 2-3 minutes in a lemon juice bath. This helps to prevent discoloration. I mixed roughly 1/2 cup of lemon juice with 1 gallon of water, and then briefly washed/dipped the pears in the solution.
- Pack the pears into hot, sterilized jars.
- Cover the pears with boiling water, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Process in a boiling water canner: 25 minutes for pints, 30 minutes for quarts.
- Enjoy your home canned pears in homemade yogurt, oatmeal, or straight from the jar!